Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nazareth house, mother and baby home in Wrexham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annemarie

Annemarie Report 19 Mar 2015 16:36

Can anyone explain why if I was born in Nazareth house in Wrexham why my birth certificate say Radnorshire. Any help would be great

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Mar 2015 16:49

From Wikipedia:-

Powys was originally created on 1 April 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, and originally had Montgomery and Radnor and Brecknock as districts under it, which were based directly on the former administrative counties.

Is it just a change in registration area?

Over the years lots of places were in different registration areas.

Kath. x

Annemarie

Annemarie Report 19 Mar 2015 17:54

Hi Kath I was adopted and it says born in Llandridnodd wells in Radnorshire, but just found out I was born in Nazareth house in Wrexham

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Mar 2015 18:12

how did you find that out if its not on your birth cert?

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Mar 2015 18:49

Maybe your birth was reg in your mother's home location, and they put down that was where your birth was?

Annemarie

Annemarie Report 19 Mar 2015 20:50

On my baptismal cert ,when we found it the other day it mentioned I was baptised in Wrexham, the priest told me about Nazareth house and sr Maureen told I was born in Wrexham :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Mar 2015 00:43

Is it your birth certificate you have or your adoption certificate?

I would say that you were actually born wherever it says on your original birth certificate. Perhaps you went to Nazareth house before your adoption??

Kath. x

Annemarie

Annemarie Report 20 Mar 2015 09:55

Birth cert,no was born in Nazareth house in Wrexham then transferred to Llandridnodd wells at a week old and birth was reg there, I wonder did this often happen

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Mar 2015 10:01

Usually a BMD is registered in the area it occurred .

You have 6 weeks to register a birth so you being transferred at one week you hadn't been reg .

Maybe ,rather that going back to Wrexham ,it was more convenient to the informat to reg you as if you were born locally

Strictly not as it should have been done

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Mar 2015 12:35

In Scotland the birth has to be registered within 21 days, but it can be registered anywhere in the country. The certificate includes the full address of where the baby was born, and I think most babies are registered at their home address.

Samoht

Samoht Report 6 Oct 2017 23:49

I have exactly the same on my birth certificate, though I think we were all born in the orphanage / mother and baby unit of Nazareth House in Wrexham , we we were registered in Llandrindod Wells which is where the offices are,,,,,,Radnorshire was the old name for the county of Powys, any of you born in the sixties?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Oct 2017 20:07

Just to add further re Scottish birth registrations. My father was born in a hospital in 1924. His birth was registered in the district that covered the hospital but that registrar sent a copy to the registrar for the district of the "mother's usual residence". As this was common practice at that time, when you search the indexes of Scottish births, his birth is listed twice. I have many examples of this in my tree. Scottish birth certificates give the place of birth and also the mother's usual residence if this is different.

Also Scottish death certificates give place of death but also usual residence if that differs.