Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding an address 1841 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 12 Apr 2015 20:46

Hello all

I have been trying to find a family in the 1841 census without success. The family is as follows:
Barrington Buggins (baptised 1787), his wife Mary (born about 1800, date of marriage not known) and their daughters Emma (born about 1825), Martha (born about 1828) and Jane (born about 1833).

Barrington Buggins was a pub landlord by profession; he died in 1846 aged 59 at Hoo, Kent, having recently become the landlord of the Five Bells there. According to his obituary, he was previously landlord of the Crown Inn, which is on Cornmarket Street, Oxford. I have found his widow and the three daughters in the 1851 census (two of them already married), which is how I was able to estimate their dates of birth.

I could not find the family in 1841 even allowing for the many spelling variations for the surname. So I decided to look for the Crown Inn. I have no doubt it was in existence at that date (the Crown's building goes back to the late Tudor period and allegedly was Shakespeare's haunt when in the city) and it seems highly probably that Barrington Buggins was the landlord there in 1841, and it certainly went by that name when he was there.

So I have done the only thing I could think of, that is, go through that part of Oxford page by page looking for the pub itself. I have been along George Street and Queen Street (which bound both ends of Cornmarket) and along both sides of the street itself which fall into different Oxford parishes. There were several inns covered in this search but none of the was the Crown. Thus I am at a dead end.

Anyone out there have any tips for finding an address, besides the brute force method I used, or anyone with access to a different copy of the census (I only subscribe to GR)? All hints, tips and info, general or specific, gratefully received.

Regards

Kim Sargerson

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 12 Apr 2015 21:01

Where were the daughters born?

Where did they marry?

alviegal

alviegal Report 12 Apr 2015 21:06

Maybe his marriage?

Oxford University and City Herald 26 October 1822

On Tuesday last was married at St Thomas parish Church by the Rev J Jones, Mr Barrington Buggins of the Hollybush Inn, on the new road, in this city, to Miss Mary Davis.

Oxford Journal 15 February 1845

Licensed to vend wine by retailers from 21 Dec 1844 to 21 Dec 1845

Buggins, Barrington Crown Inn, St Martins.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 12 Apr 2015 21:10

539 people living on Corn Market Street, Oxford in 1841

None of them, as far as I can see, with the name Buggins, or anything remotely similar

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 12 Apr 2015 21:12

"Nos. 59 , 60, and 61 Cornmarket are on the site of the original Crown Inn (not to be confused with the Crown Tavern on the opposite side of Cornmarket at No. 3). See separate page for the present Crown pub, which is behind Cornmarket, on the site of the inn's former stables:"

http://www.oxfordhistory.org.uk/cornmarket/west/59_61.html

Same page:

"The old Crown Inn had been converted into a pub and two shops by 1839. The pub was the Wellington, which was at No. 61 to the south until c.1870. "

"In the Censuses

No. 59/60: The china dealer Thomas Greatbatch (40) is living here over the shop with Elizabeth (40), Thomas (6), and Jane (5).

No. 61 The Wellington (not listed by name) is occupied by the victualler Mary Roberts, who lives here with Ann (16), Sarah (15), and Matilda Roberts (10). Also in residence are two printers."

So no Crown Inn, in census 1841? EDIT: But see next post.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 12 Apr 2015 21:19

"Passageway to the Crown

The Crown stands back from the street between 58 and 59 Cornmarket, and was originally numbered 58A (or 58½), but later settled on the number 59A. It is the only surviving pub in Cornmarket. "

The Crown at 59A Cornmarket listed in directories etc.

The Crown

Crown Yard

1839–present

Subject to university wine licences

1823: George Allen

1830: John Bradley

1835–1845: Barrington Buggins

1846–1848: William Noyes

1850–1867: William Peter Walker Hebborn

1872: Mrs Hebborn

1880: Mrs Betts

1881–1890: Henry Taylor

1895–1902: James Alfred Whiting

1911, 1914: John Taylor

1921–1928: George Gardner
(also the “Candied Friend” restaurant in 1928)

1932–1954: Benjamin Percy Bolt

1956–1960: Alfred James William Smith

1962 onwards: listed simply as “Crown Inn”

Richard Sanders
Smith & Farrier

http://www.oxfordhistory.org.uk/cornmarket/west/59a_crown.html

alviegal

alviegal Report 12 Apr 2015 21:22

Is this Mary in 1851?

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Kingston Bagpuize, Abingdon, Berkshire, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Martha Woodford Wife Married Female 23 1828 Innkeepers Wife Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
Mary Buggins Mother In Law Widow Female 50 1801 Retired Innkeeper Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
Charles Holloway Servant Unmarried Male 18 1833 House Servant And Ostler Bicester, Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
Samuel Smith Servant Unmarried Male 13 1838 Errand Boy Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
Thomas Woodford Head Married Male 21 1830 Innkeeper And Butcher Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

and 1861

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
22, Church Street, St Ebbe, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

Learn more
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Thomas Woodford Head Married Male 30 1831 Butcher Oxford, England
Transcription
Martha Woodford Wife Married Female 36 1825 - Oxford, England
Transcription
Mary Buggins Mother Widow Female 68 1793 - Oxford, England
Transcription
Jona B Woodford Son - Male 8 1853 Scholar Oxford, England
Transcription
Elizabeth Ballard Niece Unmarried Female 8 1853 Scholar Kingston, Berkshire, England
Transcription
Esther Brior Servant Unmarried Female 18 1843 - Farnborough, Berkshire, England

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
West Street, St Thomas, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

Learn more
Household Members
Martha Woodford Head - Female 47 1824 - Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
Tom B Woodford Son - Male 18 1853 - Berkshire, England
Transcription
Frank Woodford Son - Male 8 1863 - Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
Mary Buggins Mother - Female 79 1792 - Oxfordshire, England
Transcription
John Brown Lodger - Male 16 1855 - Berkshire, England

Kim

Kim Report 13 Apr 2015 02:14

Hello all

Thank you so much for all your replies, all of which have given me more than I had before. I will try to answer any points in very rough order.

Jacqueline: the daughters are all born Oxford, according to the census, but I could not find them on familysearch, which seems to have become increasingly useless recently for some reason. Emma Buggins married Henry Hunt 1848, Martha Buggins married Thomas Woodford 1850, and Jane Buggins married 1852 William Ballard, all Abingdon district.

I do not know how you counted up the people living in Cornmarket street (and would love to learn, if you have a shortcut to doing this?), but it sounds about right from what I looked at, and yes, the family is not listed.

Kucinta: thanks for looking at the directories, I did not know they were online and had resigned myself to a trip to he library...Seems that the Crown was fully functional and Barrington Buggins was there for at least 10 years, including the 1841 census, which is good to know.

Alviegal: you have found the correct family. Interesting how the ages vary so much, but I think the 1851 is pretty much correct. Barrington's will (dated 1840) allows for the education of his daughters (suggesting all were under 18 or even under 16 at that time) and for possible future children (suggesting his wife Mary was about 40 rather than 48 as the 1871 census age would imply). Especial thanks for the marriage, which I had not got.

So it seems the Crown was in existence, and was called by that name, in 1841, yet is missing from the census. This is far from the first time that I have found a "hole" in the 1841 census. I wonder if others have had a similar experience?

Regards

jax

jax Report 13 Apr 2015 04:34

Maybe they were just missed off....it did happen unfortunatley

alviegal

alviegal Report 13 Apr 2015 13:10

He was there in 1831 according to this advert. He was selling a Landau carriage.

These are a few lines from it.

horse or two. It is in excellent condition, the wheels and carriage being nearly equal to new. Forparticulars enquireof Mr. Bugg-ins, Crown Inn,Oxford.
25 June 1831 - Oxford Journal - Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

He must have just taken it over here as he is advertising for patronage.

CROWN COMMERCIAL INN, CORN MARKET, OXFORD. B. BUGGINS AVING taken to the above Inn, which has recently El been re-built and rendered commodious for business, solicits the patronage
04 September 1830 - Oxford Journal - Oxford, Oxfordshire, England

A nasty assault on Martha and Mary at the Britannia . Henry Hunt and Thomas Woodford were both witnesses to the assault in which Mary ended up with cracked ribs and other injuries.

... Stephen Petty were charged with violent assault on Mary Buggins, at Headington, on the 30th of May last. The following evidence was adduced Martha Buggina deposed, she is daughter of Mary Buggins, who keeps the Bfltaiifiia public house, Headington, in
09 June 1849 - Oxford Chronicle and Reading Gazette - Oxford, Oxfordshire,

Inky1

Inky1 Report 13 Apr 2015 16:17

Possibly your chap's father?

First name(s)
Barrington

Last name
Buggins

Death year

Residence
WOOTTON

County
OXFORDSE

Court
PCC And Country Courts

Record set
Index to Death Duty Registers 1796-1903

National Archives reference
IR27/220

Category
Birth, Marriage & Death (Parish Registers)

Subcategory
Wills & probate

Collections from
United Kingdom

Kim

Kim Report 13 Apr 2015 17:32

Hello all

Thank you for the further replies. Alviegal - brilliant stuff.

Inky1 - the saga of the Buggins men called Barrington is very long and involved, and there are lots of them, but not one continuous line. The one you found is his uncle (1753-1832) who also had a son of this name (1790-1821) and there are eight men in all over 7 generations. After that it has generally been relegated to a middle name, and passed on (in preference to the plebeian Buggins) to some descendants of daughters. But nobody knows where it came from in the first place!

Much obliged to everyone who messaged. I shall leave the thread open for a few days if anyone has any ideas on shortcuts to hunting down an address generally (it is not the first time I have had to do a house by house search and I am sure others have had similar difficulty with the online indexes).