Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

threads about same family different angles

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 5 May 2015 05:04

I posted a thread about finding the whereabouts of my gfather's siblings born between 1893-1910 This thread is now very long + convoluted + involves 4 countries

I have found something interesting on their father's death cert re his mother

ie 2 generations before.

Want to start a new thread ..I know the policy is not to ; but could I avoid being "told off" if I include a link to that thread ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 May 2015 05:10

no

we'd all have to click on that link to go and find out what you already know

The thing about not starting multiple threads on the same family is to avoid duplication of research.

You'd have to summarise everything that had been found ............. and someone would still try to repeat the search.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 May 2015 05:11

at least ........

that is my opinion

others might think otherwise

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 5 May 2015 05:15

I understand that but people have to plough through lots of pages when threads get too long

I know there is a way to see latest post 1st but I don't know how to do that expect lots of newcomers don't either .

I may have a way round it as the question is about in -laws so it will be their family name .

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 May 2015 07:04

Alisoun - you just click on the header "Post Date" to reverse the order you see the posts in. I think it only affects your view.

I think you could start a new thread - you should post a link to the other thread - I would do this for both threads, and also briefly describe what's on the linked threads, and give a limitation for what you want/don't want on each thread.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 5 May 2015 08:13

I would rather not be flicking back and forwards between two threads to see what has been found previously.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 May 2015 09:55

As Alisoun's other thread is six pages long, and is, as she says, very convoluted, I don't think anyone would feel they could be bothered ploughing through all that, either as the start of a continued thread, or as a link in a new thread.
Personally, although I contributed to the old thread, I certainly don't feel like re-reading it all, to try to get my head around it again.

Perhaps a new thread, stating very clearly that Alisoun only needs info on the lady concerned, and not any other members of the family, would be acceptable?

Is the old thread relevant to the new enquiry, Alisoun?
Do you think the info you need could perhaps be found without requiring reference to the rest of the family's details? (Other than basic details of your gr-grandfather such as date & place of birth, and father's name, to set his mother in context?)

As the proposed query is about something found on her husband's death cert, it is presumably about something before they were married - a previous marriage, perhaps, or a surname which doesn't seem to fit - so anything about her children or grandchildren wouldn't be relevant.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 May 2015 15:16

My reply to what your proposed query may be about, Alisoun:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1313595

Page 6, 5th May, 15:12