Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tip, always go back to where you started :-)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 May 2015 12:24

Recently I went back to where I started years ago, that is the part of the family I 'already knew about', my gt grandfather and grandmother living as I knew in Church St, Chiswick.

When I started the online records went up to the 1901 census, did not include parish records or electoral rolls etc...but now they do, so retracing my steps and using the 'new' records I have found that my grandfather's sister lived next door to him in Chiswick after her marriage, that she had 14 children ! and that her husband before their marriage lived in the same road in 'Pages yard' ( which may explain who the little girl is in one of the photos I have....I will be rummaging in boxes later :-) ).

Also the electoral rolls give the husband as living, later on, in the 'Hopkin Morris homes of rest.' which just gives a little more detail to the overall picture, which is something I like to have rather than just names and dates :-)

Happy hunting ( and thanks to all the people who have helped me in the past ) :-D

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 6 May 2015 18:24

I couldn't agree more RR :-D

I don't know about anyone else but I cannot keep up with all the records that come online, almost on a daily basis it seems.

Luckily my main tree is quite small so I can go through it periodically and I am always more than pleasantly surprised by something appearing that I didn't have before.

Sometimes it can be something as simple as a website I hadn't seen before.
For example I found this only a week ago, http://burials.wandsworth.gov.uk/
Now it may well have been around for ages but because I hadn't looked at my Wandsworth lot for quite a while it was news to me.

I had a happy few hours adding burial and cremation dates. Ooops that sounds wrong...But you know what I mean ;-)

Chris

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 May 2015 19:29

Me too.! Am going back over parish records now that baptism and parish marriage have come online since I started some parts of the tree.

It's like bingo moments all over again . Got my enthusiasm back again as had got to a standstill on the main tree as pre 1837

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 6 May 2015 22:05

When I started searching the newest census was 1881, so seeing the 1891, 1901 and 1911 come online was brilliant. And of course nothing was online when I started searching anyway, must be 30 years ago now.

It's been interesting following family members through the ages, seeing where they lived and what they did. Some surprises too, like finding distant family having lived close by. Or seeing the wills, and how wealthy some of them were.