Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adopted child HELP!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

billybud

billybud Report 15 May 2015 21:27

ok, doing some research, but who isn't ;-)
came across an entry (in Yorkshire), on the census, with a child listed as " a child of Liverpool unknown" any one got any ideas as to why or how this might happen?
see in my mind, if he's a foundling, why say he's from Liverpool?
oh, please help ;-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 May 2015 21:45

Maybe he was found in Liverpool and taken in and then placed with a family in Yorkshire

Sadly some illegitimate babies were secretly born and then abandoned by the mum and didnt survive . Those that were found would be foundlings with no family names but would hopefully go to a family that took them on as their own

billybud

billybud Report 16 May 2015 11:04

well maybe. the thing is i think there's more to it than simply that.
in the christening records (when he was 7-ish) they say THEY found him on their doorstep. but in the census (where he's 5) hes called edwin thompson. see my puzzle is why say his surname is thompson if he is "unknown".

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 May 2015 12:36

They unofficially adopted him maybe

Official adoption didn't start till 1927

can you give more details like birth year etc and who he is living with so we can take a look

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 May 2015 14:22

In the 1851 census Edwin is 5 years old and living in Dewsbury with John and Martha Jowett as a visitor.

It doesn't say that his name is unknown - "a child from Liverpool not known" is written under the occupation heading.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 May 2015 16:41

Yes I found that too .

seems he was a visitor but other than he was born Liverpool they didn't know any background of him

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 May 2015 16:42

so can we see the christening record too ??

Thelma

Thelma Report 16 May 2015 20:50

Name: Edwin Jowett
Parish: Birstall, St Peter
Baptism Date: 3 May 1855
Father's name: John Jowett
Mother's name: Martha
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edwin Thompson
abt 1846 Birstal, Yorkshire, England Visitor Gomersal, Yorkshire

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 May 2015 04:03

In 1871, Edwin says birth place Not Known

1871 Census

Name: Edwin T Jowitt
[Edwin T Jowett]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1847
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Sarah Jowitt
Where born: N
Civil Parish: Gomersal
Ecclesiastical parish: Birstall
Town: Birstall
County/Island: Yorkshire
Registration district: Dewsbury
Sub-registration district: Gomersal
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Household schedule number: 17
Piece: 4587
Folio: 55
Page Number: 4

Edwin T Jowitt 24
Sarah Jowitt 24

On his marriage certificate to Sarah Platt, there is no father named for Edwin.

I suspect that he was found by the Jowetts, who later had him baptised with their surname.

He would have been about 12 when he was baptised, and therefore about to look for work. Many, if not most, employers insisted that people working for them be baptised. If the Jowetts did not know whether or not Edwin had been baptised, then they may have decided to make sure.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 May 2015 05:22

His birthplace is also shown as Unknown

from ancestry ...........

West Yorkshire, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1910

Name: Edwin Jowett
Parish: Birstall, St Peter
Baptism Date: 3 May 1855
Father's name: John Jowett
Mother's name: Martha Jowett

On the actual register, is written ......

This child was left with John Jowett of Birstal, Miner, & his wife Martha as a foundling in April 1846, and was believed then to be about 2 months old. Thye have never been able to discover who were his parents.

signed by the Vicar

I think you are stuck with the fact that the story is that he was left on their doorstep, and no other information is available.

MAYBE there was a note with him that said his name was Edwin Thompson ............

MAYBE they had a suspicion who might have left him but never managed to find the mother again.

MAYBE they knew there had been some itinerant workers in the area from Liverpoole

MAYBE Martha had a pregnancy that she managed to keep secret from her husband, then she managed to keep the baby secret until he was 2 months old, and decided to "find" him on the doorstep .................. very unlikely IMHO

It does seem likely that they decided to have him baptised at around age 9 ............ so he could go out to work without any questions being asked, and that they gave him their surname.

They did have all their other children baptised

I think adding further credence to my suggestion is the fact that in 1861, his occupation is Pupil Teacher and in 1881 he is Sexton and School Keeper. In 1871, he is a Gardener

Both Pupil Teacher and Sexton would probably require him to have been baptised.

billybud

billybud Report 17 May 2015 12:03

thanks for you help and thoughts guys. i think points one or/and two seem to have more credence. i think thaey a mother might leave a child with a "nice" couple. so they might have more than an inkling who the mother was, now sadly lost to time.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 May 2015 21:31

The child was left with the Jowetts *as a foundling* not that they had found him........what happened in these cases was they were often given the name of a vicar or well known person.or the person who found him........nowdays the state names foundlings.

Babies left at convents were named by the nuns in early times.

billybud

billybud Report 18 May 2015 17:11

kay????? you're right i've not spotted the "AS" before. what with the start of the potato famine that year it makes more sense. so edwin thompson could just have been his recorded foundling name for "financial records". right another trip to the foundling museum in gray's inn.