Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Postems on FreeBMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 21 May 2015 23:36

Is it considered ok to leave a message on FreeBMD when searching for an adopted person, please?

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 22 May 2015 07:35

Taken From FreeBMD site:

There are no restrictions on the uses of Postems (other than compliance with the Terms and Conditions) but they are typically used for the following:
Giving a correction to the information. Note that this can be used to include corrections that cannot be submitted as a correction to the database, for example where the entry in the index is in error.
Giving addition information about an entry, for example giving the spouse name (where this is not in the index) or information from a certificate.
Indicating that you are researching a surname and inviting others to contact you. In this case you need to leave your contact email address although you should be aware that there is a remote possibility that this could be "harvested" for spam (unsolicited emails).
Please note that the only effect of submitting a postem is to attach the information you supply to the entry, in particular:
There is no point in leaving a request for information unless you also leave a contact email address
A postem will only be seen by people who search for and find the entry concerned, not by the FreeBMD project
It is very unlikely that the person who transcribed the record will see a postem. To contact the transcriber (if they wish to be contacted) go back to the Information page and click on the transcriber name
Feedback about the use of FreeBMD should be directed to the mailing list
If you have a correction to an entry, please click on the Information button next to the entry and follow the instructions for submitting a correction
To report a problem with the website email Contact support
Do not report that the wrong scan is associated with an entry, rather use the facility to find the right scan and assign it to the entry - see here for further information.
Do not include copyright material in a postem

Kense

Kense Report 22 May 2015 08:04

Don't forget that postems cannot be deleted, so anything you put will be there for a long time.

Be careful what you put about living people.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 May 2015 14:42

You can only type a limited number of characters. Spaces, commas etc each count as a character. Have a few practices on paper until you've got it right.
Something general such as Birth family would welcome contact (then the email address). You could be more specific to include your relationship.

Use a 'throw-away' email address that doesn't immediately identify you just in case you do get hit with spam.

lavender

lavender Report 23 May 2015 08:23

Thank you.

I did leave a message after reading about birth family welcoming contact but am wondering whether now it breaches the Terms and Conditions since I am hence referring to the fact that the individual has been adopted.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 May 2015 08:52

Shouldn't think so. Afterall, when someone is adopted, their name is usually changed.

Unless someone is aware of this and knows the birth name, they wouldn't make the connection. Anyone researching for FH purposes only will recognise the S or 'funny number' indicates that an adoption was involved. They'd have no idea of the 'new' name.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 23 May 2015 08:54

Adoption is a private sensitive issue, as I'm sure you realise.

IMO, such info should never be posted on a public forum, whether or not it breaches T&C's.

lavender

lavender Report 23 May 2015 22:47

I'm think I'm with you on this, Jacqueline. I do regret it now even though I have often seen it suggested. It would seem to breach the Terms and Conditions since it does pass comment on an individual, even though one doesn't know of their change of name.

I suppose it doesn't give more information than a letter on a birth certificate suggesting an adoption but it does make me feel uneasy.