Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Best way to show relatives your tree.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 26 May 2015 09:12

I have my tree on genes reunited and just use an iPad. My husband has a laptop. No desktop anymore.
My question is.......what is the best way to show/share my tree to a relative who is not a member of Genes reunited. She has her own tree on ancestry and has given me access to view this and I now would like her to see mine so that we can compare and get things right on both trees. She is not a paid member of that site.
I have looked on the Internet for other options but just ended up confusing myself.
Any help would be appreciated.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 May 2015 16:51

You can download a copy of your tree from GR as a gedcom.

As you can view hers on Ancestry despite her being a non-subscribing member, it might be worth taking out a free membership yourself, and uploading the gedcom to the site. You can then invite her to view it.

If your iPad doesn't have enough memory to store the gedcom, you may need to borrow OH's Laptop ;-)

Kense

Kense Report 26 May 2015 18:22

Just forward the email that GR sends you with the GEDCOM on it. She can then upload it herself as a separate tree.

If she gives you permission to view that tree, then you can check that it has transferred correctly.

Unfortunately there are often some minor incompatibilities that occur when trees are transferred in this way (mostly to do with date formats).

Also remember that photos and other media are not transferred in GEDCOMs so you have to send those separately.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 26 May 2015 22:02

Thanks so much both of you for your suggestions.??. I am thinking too that I might use OH's laptop to store the tree on as a backup. What would be a good, and preferably free programme to store it in. As you can tell I am a novice. I started my tree on GR years ago and now that I have more time being retired it has grown. I would hate to lose it so I guess I'm asking where a good other place to have it is that would also work with GR. Is there such a place???

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 May 2015 09:29

there are a number of programmes you can use to access your gedcom on your own equipment - just 'google' free family history software downloads

Although I use a different commercial programme, FamilyTreeMaker is very popular amongst members and is quite cheap. Apparently, many people use their Tesco club points to purchase it. You can also pick up older versions on ebay.

If/when you do download your gedcom to your own computer, we'd suggest that you copy or drag it onto a flashdrive or other seperate storage device. Even laptops can experience irreversible damage!

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 27 May 2015 22:01

Thanks DetEcTive, I will look at Family TreeMaker. Also maybe Roots Magic or Legacy!!! :) :-)