Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Francis Lowe died 1916 in France

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 26 May 2015 15:56

Hi
This person is my ggf on my father's side of the family. His marriage details are:
Francis Joseph LOWE 19 (father Thomas living) & Sarah Anne Donnelly 20 (father Hugh living) marriage cert 30 Oct 1908 in Belfast.
I have information about his death shown below but I am having trouble finding any records for his parents, they may have stayed in Glasgow, I'm not sure.
I wondered if anyone could find any of his army records, which might mention his family connections.
Soldiers died in the Great War 1914-1919
First Name FRANCIS
Last Name LOWE
Collections from Great Britain
Category Armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War
Record set Soldiers died in the Great War 1914-1919
Year 1916
Death Date 1
Birth Place GLASGOW
Residence
Month Of Death 7
Year Of Death 1916
Place Of Enlistment BELFAST
Theatre Of War France & Flanders
Theatre Of War Region Western European Theatre
Battalion 1st Battalion.
Cause Of Death Killed in action
Rank RIFLEMAN
Regiment Royal Irish Rifles
Soldier Number 4760

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 May 2015 17:07

Register of Effects

Name: Francis Lowe
Death Date: 1 Jul 1916
Regiment: Royal Irish Rifles
Regimental Number: 4760

The unpaid wages and gratuity were sent from Dublin to his widow Sarah A on 27/3/18 and 4/12/19. No address given.

As you may be aware, over 70% of full WW1 records were destoyed during WW2 bombing. His may be amongst them.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 May 2015 17:18

Is this your Francis please?

Census Years1911AntrimSmithfieldCinnamond StreetResidents of a house
Residents of a house 16.2 in Cinnamond Street (Smithfield, Antrim)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion

Lowe Francis 22 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
Lowe Sarah Ann 22 Female Wife Roman Catholic
Lowe Mary Catherine 1 Female Daughter Roman Catholic

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 May 2015 17:23

A copy of his birth certificate (from Scotlanspeople) will give you the date and place of his parents marriage.

1889 LOWE FRANCIS M ST ROLLOX GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/06 0910

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 May 2015 17:30

For a few credits on SP, you can view and print the image of the original cert - much cheaper than buying a copy.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 May 2015 17:44

Used a few credits and looked at the BC. His parents married in Govan in 1881.

From their MC

Thomas, aged 28 an Engine Fitter. Father Thomas deceased mother Catherine McEwan.

Ann MC Kee, 23, PowerLoom Weaver, father James, mother Mary Butler both deceased.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 May 2015 18:12

Wondering about this family?

Census Years1901AntrimFalls WardSpringview StreetResidents of a house
Residents of a house 13 in Springview Street (Falls Ward, Antrim)

Lowe Anne 6 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
Lowe Thomas 53 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
Lowe James 16 Male Son Roman Catholic
Lowe John 8 Male Son Roman Catholic
Lowe Anne 45 Female Wife Roman Catholic

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 May 2015 09:53

Full info for 1911...

Census Years1911AntrimSmithfieldCinnamond StreetResidents of a house

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Lowe Francis 22 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Antrim Labourer Carter Read and write - Married - - - -
Lowe Sarah Ann 22 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Antrim Spinner Linen Read and write - Married - 3 1 1
Lowe Mary Catherine 1 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Antrim -

David

David Report 27 May 2015 10:01

Hi All
Thanks very much for your help so far. I have never undertaken Scottish research before.
Census Years 1911 Antrim Smithfield Cinnamond Street
This is my Francis
Lowe Francis 22 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
Lowe Sarah Ann 22 Female Wife Roman Catholic
Lowe Mary Catherine 1 Female Daughter Roman Catholic

The 1901 census Antrim Falls Ward, Springview Street, could be my Lowe family as father was a Thomas and mother was Anna Marie (Ann). I don't know whether Francis had brothers or sisters.

From Scottish site: Thomas Lowe 28 engine fitter married Ann McKee 23 cotton loom operator, 9 Dec 1881 at Govern Church. Both lived on Hamilton Street, Govern but at different houses.

From Scottish site: Francis Lowe birth cert. 12June1889, father Thomas (sewing machine fitter), mother Anna-Marie Lowe (McKee), Springvale Place, St Rollox, Glasgow.

I couldn't find Thomas, Ann and Francis on the Scottish 1891 census.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 May 2015 10:35

Did you know all of that before you posted your request?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 27 May 2015 11:50

????

I expect you have these already, if relevant:

Name MARY LOWE
Date of Birth 03 October 1909
Group Registration ID 893461
SR District/Reg Area Belfast
Sex Female
Mother's Birth Surname DONNELLY

Name SARAH LOWE
Date of Birth 08 June 1911
Group Registration ID 584185
Sex Female

Name JOHN LOWE
Date of Birth 06 September 1912
Group Registration ID 604180
Sex Male

Name FRANCIS LOWE
Date of Birth 03 September 1913
Group Registration ID 1227840
Sex Male

There may be more births, but not with mother's maiden name indexed as identifier.

Possibly Sarah died as an infant?

Name SARAH ANN LOWE
Year of Death 1911
Group Registration ID N/R
Deceased Age at Death 0
Returns Year 1911
Returns Quarter 4
Returns Volume No 1
Returns Page No 287

David

David Report 27 May 2015 17:04

Hi kucinta
I have just started on this line with information I had been given or told so I didn't know about Sarah Lowe. Thanks for your help.
David

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 27 May 2015 19:50

David, just to clarify for your benefit, Thomas and Ann married at The Roman Catholic Chapel, Govan. This would be a different building completely from Govan Church which would be the Parish Church serving the Church of Scotland parishioners in Govan. The different street numbers on the given addresses on the marriage certificate would almost certainly be tenement flats.

David

David Report 27 May 2015 20:32

Hi Rootgatherer
Thanks for the info on the church. I hadn't thought about them being flats, it conjurors up a completely different image as I thought back to backs.
David

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 May 2015 17:29

David if you google lost Glasgow images or look on the virtual Mitchell website, you will see photographs of old Glasgow tenement buildings.

Not many back to backs in Glasgow. Until the Glasgow overspill programme in the 50s and 60s many of the Glasgow residents still lived in tenements. A typical tenement had 4 levels with two or three flats on each level. Where there were three on the level, two were "room and kitchens" and the third a "single end" (one room where the family ate, slept and washed in.) Toilets were on the half landing and shared between the two or three families on the one level. No bathrooms. By the 1890s, flats were built with inside toilets and bathrooms. Some of those flats have survived (I live in one built around 1900). I have known people who were raised in "single ends" along with several siblings.

David

David Report 29 May 2015 13:53

Hi rootgather
Thanks very much for the Mitchell reference I had a look at quite a few of the photos of the tenement flats.
From what you describe they sound to be very small inside but they seem quite substantial buildings and I have always thought that when they mention tenements that they were some form of slums which is obviously not true of the buildings themselves.