Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

two marriages for the same couple 1895 and 1898

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ros

Ros Report 20 Jun 2015 01:05

I have 2 marriage certificates for the same couple- why would they marry twice?

first-
16 Sept 1895 at registry office Bristol, England.
David Ernest Morgan- (age 31, bachelor, telegraph lineman, RE; father Thomas Morgan mining engineer) to Mary Elizabeth Sharp (age 25, spinster, father Joseph Sharp, hairdresser), living at different addresses in Bristol, 2 witnesses- S and E Robinson.

second marriage 2 and half years later-
14th Jan 1898 at registry office Medway, kent
David Ernest Morgan (age 33, bachelor, corporal royal Engineers, father Thomas Morgan mining engineer) to Mary Elizabeth Sharp (age 27, spinster, father Joseph Sharp hairdresser) both living at same address in New Bromptom. Witnesses were JT Sharp and MD Sharp

Any ideas or suggestions please? They appear to be the same people.
Incidentally the second certificate is attached to divorce documents found on Ancestry- they divorced in 1905- adultery by the wife.

Thanks, Ros

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 Jun 2015 02:34

Servicemen were supposed to get permission to marry from their CO. Lack of permission doesn't invalidate the marr, but it did make difficulties for the couple - e.g., with widows' pensions etc., so you often find the couple entering into a 2nd, (invalid) marr once they had gotten permission.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jun 2015 04:00

As mbnv says, servicemen had to get permission from their superior officer(s) before marrying.

If they did not do so, then the army could refuse to recognise the marriage, and the wife would be denied the benefits that she was entitled to receive.

So the couple would have to get married again in order to comply with Army regulations.

Ros

Ros Report 20 Jun 2015 04:46

Thank you both for this. It makes sense seeing as Davis Ernest Morgan was in he army. Ros

malyon

malyon Report 20 Jun 2015 23:31

having read that about a marriage reg twice i wondered why my gt aunts marriage was like yours reg twice she was married to a service man in aldershot so now i know why thank you

this is her marriages

Marriages Mar 1908 (>99%)
HUMPHREY Horace Hartley W. 2c 301

ELLEY Alice Hartley W. 2c 301

Marriages Dec 1909 (>99%)
HUMPHREY Horace Farnham 2a 272

ELLEY Alice Farnham 2a 272