Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

B'ham police records - online 2016

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Aug 2015 10:53

A bit specific, but people do ask sometimes about ancestors who served in B'ham police force. It seems the records are being scanned, so are currently unavailable for research. They are planning to have a genealogy section on the West Midlands website in January.

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Aug 2015 23:13

This will be useful. I have tried to access records from the West Mids police museum in the past, but they haven't had a curator of some time and so its been closed. I have an ancestor who was an early (1840's) policeman in Birmingham and I have heard he had a 'colourful' life and kicked out because of drink and gambling.

Andy

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Aug 2015 09:44

So we'll both be keeping a look-out Andy! Hope it proves fruitful.
That's very early isn't it, how interesting.
Jan

Andrew

Andrew Report 8 Aug 2016 20:18

An update.

I have been able to obtain copies of the service record of my ancestor from the museum. Nothing is online, but a quick reply to the email with the info. Ask for a donation of £15 to help with costs. Am happy to pay this.

Email is

[email protected]

Andy

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Aug 2016 21:40

A rather belated 'thank-you' Andrew, your reply passed me by - apologies!
I have now emailed them.
Much appreciated.
Jan

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Aug 2016 23:21

Good luck with the research! My ancestors record shows that every little transgression was recorded and punished. Mind he did go missing from his beat regularly and was found asleep or drunk! He was 'allowed to resign' in 1865 after having been downgraded from 1st class to 4th. Must have been quite a character.
He died soon after.

Andy

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Aug 2016 12:01

That's well worth finding Andrew. Hope my relative is so colourful!