Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Delete copy of ancestor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 1 Dec 2015 19:16

Hi, I have made the mistake of making a copy of an ancestor and attaching their descendants to that copy.
How do I delete the copy (there does not seem to be any way of doing this by clicking on the copy) and attach the defendants to the original ancestor?
Many thanks Bob.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Dec 2015 22:23

Welcome to the boards, Bob.

I'm not sure what you mean by a copy.
Do you mean you have entered the person on your tree twice, in different places?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Dec 2015 23:24

You might be able to do it from the correct Ancestors sidebar.

Click the green Add towards the top of the opened sidebar, then select Child as the person you want to attach.
“Enter the name of the person you are looking for in the search box. You can also search by year of birth or death. You can add the details in anyorder, but they must be separated by commas e.g. Isambard, Kingdom, Brunel, 1806”

I must admit that that the abpve response seems to be a hit or miss. Sometimes it appears, sometimes not.

If that doesn’t work, you could contact Support to ask if they would merge the records for you
[email protected]

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 2 Dec 2015 11:21

I'll let Bob know how to find his replies :-)

Robert

Robert Report 2 Dec 2015 15:38

Hi thanks for your reply. Nothing I to do seems to rectify my error.
If I can try and explain, I have A Jones married to B Smith with descendants, but A Jones remarries and when I try to add A Brown to A Jones as a spouse this creates a duplicate/copy of A Jones in a separate box with A brown as his wife so I have two A Jones,s.
Thanks for your time.
Bob Jones

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Dec 2015 16:28

I have more than one ancestor with two spouses and children attached to each. All of my tree is created by doing it offline and uploading a Gedcom, but here goes - no promises, mind!

Start by deleting the duplicates so that you are back to A Jones and B Smith and their children. I think you will have to do them one by one, starting with the children.

Then click on A Jones, then on Add, then on Spouse and insert details of A Brown. If you then want to add children of the second marriage, you click on A Brown ie the wife, and then on child.

I hope this works. Good luck :-) :-) :-)

Robert

Robert Report 2 Dec 2015 17:43

Thank you for this, I will try and see what happens.
Regards
Bob Jones

Kense

Kense Report 2 Dec 2015 18:07

Robert, does one of the copies of A Jones have an icon in the bottom right of the box, like two sheets of paper? If so then it is not a duplicate and you don't need to delete anything.

It is just the GR way of keeping the tree simple by displaying a copy of that person, rather than having too many lines across the tree. If you click on the icon in the box it will indicate that it is a copy.

Robert

Robert Report 2 Dec 2015 18:26

You are now my bestest mate ever, that's exactly what it is, thank you so much for this advice. Brilliant.
Thanks again.
Bob Jones :-D