Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

margaret and francis hamilton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Doreen

Doreen Report 2 Jan 2016 19:16

i am looking for any information on children of margaret kennedy and francis hamilton in the middlesbrough area. births/baptisms/deaths/burials.
i have found margaret all through her life , she was born in Eston Yorks. 1866-1924.But her husband francis 1867-1923 was Irish and i cant find him before 1891 when he was living as a boarder in .Grangetown Eston Yorks.
They dont appear to have had any children, but im wondering if they had any that died in infamcy.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Jan 2016 22:38

Just for our info. Do you have them 1911?

Name: Francis Hamilton
Estimated birth year: abt 1868
Relation to Head: Head
Spouse: Maggie Hamilton
Birth Place: Ireland
Civil Parish: Eston

Ecclesiastical parish: South Bank St John
Town: North Eston
County/Island: Yorkshire

Registration district: Middlesbrough
Sub-registration district: Ormesby

Francis Hamilton 33
Maggie Hamilton 33

malyon

malyon Report 2 Jan 2016 22:46

he must have still been in ireland before 1891

married in 1897

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Jan 2016 22:51

I presume their deaths? If nothing else can be found out, you could risk getting Margaret's death cert to see who registered the death, as it's usually a family member - a VERY long shot though!

Deaths Mar 1923 (>99%)
HAMILTON Francis 54 Middlesbrough 9d 616

Deaths Mar 1924 (>99%)
Hamilton Margaret 54 Middlesbro' 9d 830

Doreen

Doreen Report 2 Jan 2016 23:56

yes i have this info thank you, i was wondering about children who may have died in infancy. i can find some Hamilton births on the GRO but cant verify. Does anyone have access to local baptisms etc?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2016 00:03

Still births would not have been recorded, and obviously there would have not been any baptisms. In addition, still births were not treated very well at that time ........... the baby's body was often just put in someone else's coffin, and there may or may not be a record of that

Mother's maiden name does not appear on GRO registrations until mid-1911, so that method of searching is out.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2016 00:05

You can order certificates from GRO, using the information you've found, but specify that the father's name is Francis Hamilton and mother Margaret Kennedy ..................

they will look at the certificate and will not send it if the names are not correct ........... and I believe they also refund your money.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Jan 2016 09:57

It's a pity no one can find their 1911 census entry. If they'd completed it correctly that would have shown how many children had been born alive and died.

Potty

Potty Report 3 Jan 2016 12:43

1911?
Name Margaret Hamitton
Age in 1911:44
Estimated birth year:abt 1867
Relation to Head:Wife
Birth Place:
South Bank, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish:Eston

Francis Hamitton 44
Margaret Hamitton 44 -
Margaret Hamitton 10 Neice - Kennedy on image
Joseph Hamitton 36 Brother in Law- Kennedy on image

Married 13 years; no children

Doreen

Doreen Report 3 Jan 2016 13:00

thank you.

Doreen

Doreen Report 3 Jan 2016 13:02

no i could no find them in the 1911.
i have had trouble searching recently as the site i use for searching has changed their layout/format.
:-)

Doreen

Doreen Report 3 Jan 2016 13:02

no i could no find them in the 1911.
i have had trouble searching recently as the site i use for searching has changed their layout/format.

Doreen

Doreen Report 3 Jan 2016 13:04

Probably been because of the misspelling of Hamilton 'Hamitton' .

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Jan 2016 14:59

Good find Potty :-)

Doreen

Doreen Report 5 Jan 2016 21:25

i have another question about the hamiltons. margaret was supposedly buried 6 july 1924. i have searched for her death, but only find 2 matches, one for middlesbrough, which is where her husband was buried the year before (1867-1923). also one for chester le street. But these were both march 1924. Can anyone find a burial anywhere for margaret hamilton born c1866 . i am searching for a relative in the USA, and she was given the info of the burial being 6 July. I have asked of the origin of the info, but havent received a reply. i suggested it could be 6 Jan if its a handwritten burial entry?

Doreen

Doreen Report 29 Jan 2016 22:32

mystery solved it was actually 6 Feb, but misread as i suspected. Because of the curly old fashioned writing, and also it was abreviated to Febry