Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas and William Martin - RIC Policemen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JosieJo

JosieJo Report 10 Jan 2016 17:13

I am trying to find out more information regarding Thomas Martin a Policeman in the RIC in 1850c and his son William Martin who was also a policeman. We have the RIC records but they are very difficult to read. We think that Thomas was born in County Wexford and we think that William was born in Tipp around 1856 but it also says Gal E. This is confusing us as how can you be born in Tipperary and Galway East? We can not find out any locations in these counties and can not find out the wife/mums name. We've hit a brick wall. Can anyone out there help us please.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Jan 2016 17:54

Hi JosieJo.

I don't have any experience of Irish research, but wondered if this might be William?

I suggest you put a little about how you came by them - it can be a real help to members to put people in context.

1901 census

Martin William 45 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Co of Tipperary Sergeant R.I. Constabulary Read and write

Martin Mary 33 Female Wife Church of Ireland Co of Mayo - Read and write
Martin Elizabeth 12 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co of Longford Scholar Read and write -
Martin James Ormond 10 Male Son Church of Ireland Co of Longford Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Martin Editha 8 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co of Longford Scholar Read and write -
Martin Thomas Hnery 6 Male Son Church of Ireland Co of Longford Scholar Read
Martin William 4 Male Son Church of Ireland Co of Longford Scholar
Martin Mary 2 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co of Longford

- Martin William 55 Male Head of Family Church Ireland Co Tipperary R I Constaby Pensioner Read and write - Married - 23 9 9
Martin Mary 44 Female Wife Church Ireland Co Mayo - Read and write - Married - 23 9 9
Martin Elsie 22 Female Daughter Church Ireland Co Longford Waiters Read and write
Martin James 20 Male Son Church Ireland Co Longford Messenger Unemployed Read write
Martin Editha 18 Female Daughter Church Ireland Co Longford Tailoress Read and write - Single - - - -
Martin Thomas 16 Male Son Church Ireland Co Longford Messenger Read write - Single - - - -
Martin William 14 Male Son Church Ireland Co Longford Scholar Read write
Martin Mary 12 Female Daughter Church Ireland Co Longford Scholar Read write
Martin Kathleen 9 Female Daughter Church Ireland Co Longford Scholar Read write
Martin Albert 7 Male Son Church Ireland Co Longford Scholar Read
Martin Jack Male Son Church Ireland Dublin City - Cannot read

JosieJo

JosieJo Report 10 Jan 2016 18:45

That's really great, thank you so much for your response. I have found out this information about them already, as Mary Martin (DOB 4/2/1899) is my grandma but I can't seem to find any information about where her Dad, William Martin (born c1856) came from in Tipp or Gal E and also we found out that his father was Thomas Martin who was also in the RIC was born in Wexford born 1826c. This we got from the RIC records. We know that the both retired at the age of 49 but we can't seem to find out where about's in the above counties they were born. We are visiting Ireland in March and would like to visit the towns/parish church/addresses that they lived in if possible. BUT thank you so much for your answer, its really kind of you. :-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Jan 2016 19:32

It does give birthplace as Tipperary tho?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Jan 2016 19:37

So - you have this too? Apologies if I keep giving you info you already have!!

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status

Martin Thomas 75 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Co Wexford Pensioner R. I. C. Read and write English

Martin Jane 65 Female Wife Church of Ireland Co Tipperary - Read and write English

Martin Catherine 34 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Galway - Read and write English Not Married -

Martin Susanna 30 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Galway - Read and write English

Martin Mary Jane 28 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Galway Dressmaker Read and write English

Martin Anna Maria 26 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Galway Dressmaker Read and write English

Martin Sarah 23 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Galway Milliner Read and write English

Naghten Margret Jane 10 Female Grand Daughter Church of Ireland Longford Scholar Read and write

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Jan 2016 19:40

Assuming I have the right family of course!

I see that Jane was born Tipperary, but the children in Galway. Maybe this is the source of the confusion? Just speculating!

Jan

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 10 Jan 2016 19:49

JosieJo...If you are able to send me an email with the RIC Docs you cant read I will see if I can decifer them for you...Have sent you a PM (personal message) with my email address.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 10 Jan 2016 22:33

1901 Census...
Residents of a house 18 in New Road (Limerick No. 6, Limerick)

Thomas Rtd RIC.

Martin Thomas 75 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland b. Co Wexford
Martin Jane 65 Female Wife b Co Tipperary
Martin Catherine 34 Female Co Galway
Martin Susanna 30 Female
Martin Mary Jane 28 Female
Martin Anna Maria 26 Female
Martin Sarah 23 Female Daughter
**Naghten Margret Jane 10 Female Grand Daughter Church of Ireland b Co Longford
Margaret could be Martin but original looks like Naghten..so not sure....

1911....Census

Residents of a house 18 in New Road (Limerick No. 6 Urban (Pt. of), Limerick)

All the girls are still at home unmarried parents deceased..there is also a Clarice Martin 2yrs b Dublin with them...

A cross check of Births give the mothers name as a Jane McCutchen.

JosieJo

JosieJo Report 11 Jan 2016 07:47

This is amazing thanks ever so much. I'll start looking further into this immediately. I was flagging a bit but this has got the enthusiasm going again. I will scan in the RIC docs as they are copies of microfilm from The National Archives in Kew, London but please be warned they are very faint. Thanks for the offer of help.

Jo

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Jan 2016 13:17

Jo...Took some doing but eventually found this amongst some archive data I have..If you can read Thomas' No.on the Docs.you have then it should confirm or not his being this Wexford man....

12525. MARTIN, Thos
Age 23
Appointment date 19-Jan 1849
Born Wexford
Rel. Protestant
Married : 1/3/1856 Wife b Tipperary
Occup. Labr
Stationed Tipperary N, Galway E. 21/9/56

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Jan 2016 13:49

Think This will be the marriage...

Thomas Martin

mentioned in the record of Thomas Martin and Jane Mccutchin

Name Thomas Martin
Birth Date 1826
Age 30
Spouse's Name Jane Mccutchin
Spouse's Birth Date 1834
Spouse's Age 22
Event Date 01 Mar 1856
Event Place Parsonstown, Kings, Ireland
Father's Name Thomas Martin
Spouse's Father's Name Thomas Mccutchin
Marital Status Single
Spouse's Marital Status Single

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Jan 2016 15:33

Probably Jane McCutchin Martins Death

Name Jane Martin
Event Type Death
Event Date Jan - Mar 1906
Event Place Limerick, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year Jan - Mar 1906
Registration District Limerick
Age 70
Birth Year (Estimated) 1836
Volume Number 5
Page Number 243

Thomas'....
Name Thomas Martin
Event Type Death
Event Date Jan - Mar 1902
Event Place Limerick, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year Jan - Mar 1902
Registration District Limerick
Age 76
Birth Year (Estimated) 1826
Volume Number 5
Page Number 273

JosieJo

JosieJo Report 11 Jan 2016 16:56

OMG, you lot are amazing. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you and Thank you sooooooo much.
Right that's it I'm back on the path again. Gosh I hate being in a ditch but you lot pulled me out and I'm back on track again.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)