Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Printing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 20 Jan 2016 11:32

Does anyone know if I can print a list of parts of the family tree, rather than in the 'family tree' format.
Hope that is clear!
Lynne

Inky1

Inky1 Report 20 Jan 2016 11:48

Lynne, it could be a bit clearer.....

There are four views available on screen. (The actual GR print system for those views is another matter...) If not one of those, can you give some idea as to what you are looking for?

Lynne

Lynne Report 20 Jan 2016 15:08

As well as on PC I keep folders, with each name would like a written print of parents, siblings, etc. Ancestry used to do one, but no longer have that.
Lynne

Inky1

Inky1 Report 20 Jan 2016 16:25

So, you are not looking for 'boxes' - just a simple list of names of the immediate family?

Is that for every individual in your tree?

I do not know of any available software that can produce that - maybe someone else does? But I think it is feasible to produce that sort of names list.

Of the other GR trees that I presently have access to the largest contains 39,590 names. Now printing such lists for that tree would be 'no-no'. However for a tree with a few hundred names perhaps a possibility. But still a lot of paper.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jan 2016 16:53

Choose a person and open up the side-bar.
At the bottom of the screen is 'View Full Profile' which will open in the original tab.
Is that what you were looking for?
Its similar to Ancestry's profile page

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Jan 2016 17:06

I have just been experimenting.

If you open your tree on Ancestors, the chosen individual has a little list underneath of spouse, children and siblings. This can be printed using the snipping tool.

As Inky says, it could take a very long time, but you could save on paper by downloading several people on to a single sheet of paper.

The other possibility is to open your tree on List, scroll down to the required surname, and use the snipping tool to select what items you want to print.

Lynne

Lynne Report 20 Jan 2016 23:40

What is the 'snipping tool', sorry to be so pathetic, but am not PC literate!; of an ager when paper & pen were used!!!!!!

Inky1

Inky1 Report 21 Jan 2016 09:22

Lynne,

It is a means of copying part of what you see on the screen into a file, to be saved and/or printed.

To avoid repetition please look at the posts on this recent thread:-

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1357432

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Jan 2016 11:50

Lynne, it took me a while to suss it out, so don't worry.

To add to Inky's post, the snipping tool is a superior version of Copy and Paste, and is particularly useful for items like newspaper articles (and Genes Family Tree), which won't let you highlight them.

Lynne

Lynne Report 22 Jan 2016 22:55

Many thanks to everyone for the help, will enjoy trying this weekend!

Hugh

Hugh Report 28 Jan 2016 22:13

If you have your tree on Family Tree Maker, you can set filters for the parts of a tree or list to print such as 'Ancestors of X' or 'Descendants of Y'.