Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deciphering writing on Death Cert received today

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Feb 2016 13:29

Good morning, can anyone help please? I have received a copy of my GG Death Certificate in the post today. I have difficulty in deciphering the writing in relation to the place of death which looks like HM Frigate "Ireland", Chatham and two letters after Chatham,also the cause of death. It may well not be HM Frigate as it actually states H.M. Frig then what looks like Ireland, Chatham then two letters. I haven't begun to try and decipher the cause of death and that's with my glasses on. GG was a Naval Stoker from Chatham, Kent. If someone is able to decipher the ship can you please let me know where I might find a picture of the same? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, where might GG have been buried please? If anyone can help then I'll PM a copy of the death certificate.

Kind regards

Kathryn

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Feb 2016 13:55

By all means send a PM - you could also enlarge then upload into 'My Keepsafe'. Open it to everyone then copy and paste the url here.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Feb 2016 14:10

Good afternoon Detective, Thank you for replying to my post. I have uploaded the cert to Keepsafe, now not sure what to do with it. I'm being really dumb here. Are you able to give me a step by step guide as what to do now ie which box to click. I am not getting an url to copy and paste. As above I think I am being really dumb.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Feb 2016 14:16

Not sure if this is right!!!!

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/_resources/keepsafe/thumb.ashx?id=26326862&at=1&mk=8671034&ok=8671034&c=False&ff=False&pl=1&w=640&h=640&q=70&as=0&rk=&d=http://cdn.genesreunited.co.uk/_resources/images/keepsafe/notavailable_640x640.jpg&ex=1392EC118CA033B12CC283BA6721BA84

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Feb 2016 15:01

Maybe this one comes out larger.

http://mediasvc.ancestry.co.uk/v2/image/namespaces/60623/media/cdbacbec-916d-49a4-809f-2dfa5f4a7441.jpg?client=Boards

Kind regards

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Feb 2016 15:04

The certificate is very small when clicking on your link and I can't enlarge it.

However I think the cause of death looks like Syncope - which as far as I know is a sudden collapse caused by a fall in blood pressure. It says something like found somewhere. The death must have been unexpected as there was an inquest and the coroner is the informant. I can't make out the place of death.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Feb 2016 15:07

Having looked at the larger image I think the place of death might be H.M. Frigate "Ireland" ??? (not sure about "Ireland" - it could be another name.)

Cause of death - Syncope from failure of the heart's action.

Kath. x

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Feb 2016 15:09

Hi Kathleen, thank you for replying, not sure how to enlarge it as Detective had informed me to do. If it is okay with you I could PM it to you and see if it would come out larger to enable to read. Am not very computer literate when it comes to things like enlarging etc.

Kind regards

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Feb 2016 15:10

It's o.k. - your second link makes it bigger. See my second post.

Kath. x

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Feb 2016 15:13

Hiya, we must have been messaging at the same time. Okay, thank you, not sure then what H.M. Frigate "Ireland" is. Hopefully someone on here who is knowledgeable with Naval issues might be able to shed some light. I have tried searching for a ship with that name but it doesn't come up with anything.

Thank you for your help and time spent in the deciphering department. Much appreciated. By the way which link opened up in the larger format, the first or second one I posted?

Kind regards

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Feb 2016 15:14

The second one.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Feb 2016 15:15

Kathryn sent me a copy by PM
I’m wondering if its H M Frig(ate) Ireland at Pentland Hd (Head) . There is a Pentland in Firth. As Ireland is in inverted commas, it’s likely it was the name of the vessel he died on. Others may have different opinions.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Feb 2016 15:17

I think it says H M Tug Iceland, Chatham followed by an abbreviation for dockyard.

I tried using a magnifying glass, but it didn't really help.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Feb 2016 15:22

Hi all thanks for your time, help and input. Much appreciated. If anyone wishes I could PM the certificate if it makes it easier to read/decipher. We will get there. I'm intrigued.

Kind regards

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Feb 2016 15:24

I'm pretty sure the cause of death is right. I have an aunt who suffers from Syncope and she quite often collapses when she's out and about. Luckily someone has always managed to get her an ambulance and get her to hospital quickly.

Kath. x

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Feb 2016 15:29

Hi Kathleen, yes, you are right, I've just used a really strong magnifying glass and the wording you described looks exactly the same. I still can't make out for sure about the Ship though but it looks like Detective and Andysmum are looking into this. Am wondering if there was a report in one of the Newspapers at that time re the Inquest. I know sometimes Inquests were reported. Sorry to hear that your Aunt suffers from this but thank god for people who've been around at the time.

Thanks once again for your input.

Kind regards

Kathryn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Feb 2016 15:33

I think Andysmum is correct in that it says H.M. Tug because if you look at the "T" at the beginning of the date when registered it looks the same as the beginning of the word after H.M.

The name could easily be Iceland or Ireland.

Kath. x

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Feb 2016 15:43

Yes, spotted this now, sometimes one looks at things too hard and misses clues. Have tried looking now for an HM Tug Iceland but still not coming up with anything and again looking at the last part of the place of death that now does not look like Chatham. URGH!!!!!!

Kind regards

Kathryn

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Feb 2016 17:18

As his address is in Chatham and the informant was the coroner for Kent, I think that almost certainly the tug was based in Chatham Dockyard.

Kathryn, next time you have a very long url, you might find this useful

http://tinyurl.com/

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Feb 2016 17:21

I think it says H M tug "ireland" and the bottom word is Chatham.

Look at the address of 49, Ordnance Street Chatham, its written the same and that would be Kent as far as I know.