Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

INQUESTS/BURIALS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alco

Alco Report 28 Feb 2016 13:43

Hi I am at my wits end and am now seeking your help!
I have a death certificate for my Grandmother [she was totally unknown to me :-( ]
I am trying to find out her final resting place.
She was Eliza Ann Coutts and died a Widow aged 86 at Sefton General Hospital Liverpool on 24thJune 1965.
[Sefton Gen Hosp demolished around 1975]

other details on cert was her last abode at 88 Myrtle Street Liverpool. Also since demolished and that the...

"certificate received from J A Blackwood Coroner for Liverpool Inquest Held 28th June 1965".

There is no further information regarding any other family detail!

I have scoured all the well known Genealogy sites and can only come up with a Death register Entry, Nothing on Burials or Inquests.
I would dearly like to seek out her final resting place and would greatly appreciate any assistance advice and guidance as to where i can go next.
I have the lady in some of the Census [1901 and 1911] but thats it. I do not live anywhere near Liverpool so all my research has been on line.
Thanks in anticipation

Alan Coutts

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2016 13:55

here she is

http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/years/consecrated%20section/1965.htm

Coutts, Eliza Ann 1 July 1965 86 years - 88 Myrtle Street Liverpool 8 Private Grave 150 134287

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2016 14:09

http://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/

plans of the cemetery can also be found on site

Alco

Alco Report 28 Feb 2016 14:16

Rose,

Thank you so much! and so quick, I only just posted up!!! I have been spending hours on line for this and you get it in minutes. Have just googled the Cemetery and also managed to find a detailed map and further entries for the Coutts family way back as well Oh! what a wonderful discovery.

Thank you again so much, not only for reading my plea but also for the immediate action You Madam are DIAMOND!
I intend to visit in the summer and will lay a ROSE on her grave <3

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2016 14:22

You're most welcome :-)

I really can't take any credit for finding it though as all I did was google 'Eliza Ann Coutts Liverpool 1965' and it came up as the first result.

Alco

Alco Report 28 Feb 2016 14:46

Immmm! I never thought of doing that :-( :-|

But I'm glad you did so please, don't be so modest, you have opened up a very tight door for me.I am most grateful.

Dear old Eliza will still get her White Rose!

Now i can get on with more research as I have also discovered that my father had two sisters, One Eliza Ann Wilkinson Nee' COUTTS born Liverpool1900 (no death recorded that I can find! Also a Spinster Lillian Coutts B 1902 who died in 1990,

I wonder why we were never told about them, My father died in 1961 during my early teens and I can recall a couple of ladies at the wake but being so young didn't give them any second thoughts.....Oh my! if I only knew then what I know now.......

Such is life However, Rose thank you so much yet again.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Feb 2016 15:13

Do come back if you need more help, there's nothing we like better on here :-)

I had thought looking at Toxteth might be worth while as I've done a bit of research for friends up that way. If a search on the 1939 register would help for your aunts, and you don't have access, just let me know. :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Feb 2016 16:12

Births Dec 1900 (>99%)
Coutts Eliza Ann Toxteth Park 8b 163

Do you know her exact DOB?

Possible death??

Eliza Ann Wilkinson
in the England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Eliza Ann Wilkinson
Birth Date: 18 Sep 1900
Date of Registration: Mar 1979
Age at Death: 78
Registration district: Bexley
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume: 11
Page: 0461

Husband's name missing:

Marriages Jun 1922 (>99%)
COUTTS Eliza A Wilkinson Toxteth P 8b 238
DRENNAN John Hampston Toxteth P. 8b 238
HAMPTON Eliza Drennan Toxteth P. 8b 238

EDIT: Here he is:

WILKINSON Thomas W Coutta Toxteth P 8b 230

Two sons born Liverpool, 1923 and 1928.

Alco

Alco Report 28 Feb 2016 16:18

Hello again Rose,
That is a very generous offer and I would appreciate any help at all.

I did have free access Via Ancestry to the 1939 register Index only, last weekend and looked up Thos Wm Wilkinson [Spouse of Eliza Ann Coutts the younger] and Lillian but to no avail. I then looked him up under an address I had from Gore's' DIR of Liverpool and found him at 210 - 212 Smithdown Lane Liverpool as a Licenced Victular/Manager.
He was listed under WIESNISON! am presuming this was a transcription error/misinterpretation as it seemed to fit with WILKINSON somehow but i could not open the record!
I haven't been able to check on any leads since but Have discovered the Smithdown Address was a Pub [Name unknown] and that he also was listed at 2 Portland Street at the same time!!!
Looking at old maps 2 portland street was right adjacent to the Public House. It may have been called "the SEFTON HOTEL or INN"

I received a death cert only yesterday for Lillian Coutts. She died at "Beechley", Harthill road Liverpool aged 88
[Looking on Google this address is now a Disabled Riding Centre but hs a set of modern cottages attached)
The death cert says "To be cremated" but no further details and nothing of any family, only a solicitors address which I have written to and now awaiting a reply.

Maybe they tried to contact me as the oldest surviving member of the Clan. I was serving with the Royal Air Force and at that time was stationed in Saudi Arabia during the Gulf war 1990 -1991. It was difficult to make contact with me as I was moving about a lot!
However my service career ended in 1992 after 22 years and I was promoted to "Mr" again and posted to "Civvy Street".Nobody ever made contact with me about my aunts.
That is all I have at present.Not a lot to go on but again would appreciate any help.
Thanks in anticipation You are a GEM, I was honestly ready to give up on the 'modern' side of my Ancestors. Now you have certainly stoked up my interest and given me hope.

safc

safc Report 28 Feb 2016 16:22

????

Household (1 Person) Bryn Hedd , Penmaenmawr U.D., Caernarvonshire, Wales
Attach to tree
View original image
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Lilian Coutts 12 Oct 1902 Female Paid Domestic Single 207 20

safc

safc Report 28 Feb 2016 16:36

Wiesnison Household (4 People) 210-212 Smithdown Lane , Liverpool C.B., Lancashire, England
Attach to tree
View original image
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Eliza A Wiesnison 18 Sep 1900 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 129 2
Thomas Wiesnison 13 Mar 1898 Male Public House Licence & Manager Married 129 1
Eliza Ann Coutts 07 Mar 1884 Female Chambermaid & Cook Married 129 3
George Wilkinson 14 Jun 1928 Male Very Backward Not At School Single 129 4

Alco

Alco Report 28 Feb 2016 17:30

Very MANY THANKS to all you wonderful people out there.

Thank you all for your time, your generosity and your resources.

You have blown me away with all this info which I have been banging my head at for weeks and after only a few minutes in this community, on site, I have had nearly all my knots undone and found out that I have more relations than I thought!!!

Again thank you all so very much

Alan Coutts

[How can you transcribe WIESNISON from WILKINSON ?] I suppose they got the W I and the S O N bit correct]
also read Read "Motor Neurone Disease" for "Very Backward" [ !!! ]

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Feb 2016 17:52

Thanks for PM, Alan, drawing my attention to the above postings, after mine with Eliza's death.

You wondered what happened to son George.
He could, of course, still be alive. - though not if he had MN, unless his MN was slow moving like Stephen Hawking's. I've never heard of MN attacking a child - but what do I know!?
Perhaps the poor soul was "simple-minded", and then later also had MN.

I don't see any sign of his death on FreeBMD (up to 1983.)
Unfortunately, Ancestry is playing up at the moment, so I can't search for a more recent death.

Alco

Alco Report 28 Feb 2016 18:11

Hello again 'Gran!
Thank you again for replying, I too cannot find any trace of George's demise so I'm hopeful that he is still around today scoring a nice round 88 years old.
I mentioned MND in my ignorance...I now know George was wheelchair bound in the 1950's I have been told, my father was always visiting him to give him a "shave" as he nor George's Mum, Dads sister, could manage that operation. We were never taken along to meet him, ever. I didn't really know who he was until I had a chat with other family members. All we were told was that cousin George was a "spastic" Not a term I am comfortable with today but in common use in the 1950's. I have no further knowledge of him except in these listings

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Feb 2016 18:16

George's death:

George Wilkinson
in the England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: George Wilkinson
Birth Date: 14 Jun 1928 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Date of Registration: Dec 1999
Age at Death: 71
Registration district: Hillingdon
Inferred County: Middlesex
Register Number: C40B
District and Subdistrict: 2361C
Entry Number: 235

Alco

Alco Report 28 Feb 2016 18:42

So Gran !
You have done it again for me ! words fail me, all so quick. :-)

I will be writing off for his cert very shortly as it seems that what you have is really him and possibly explains why him and his mother passed away in that part of the country.

I WILL keep you posted as to my results when I get them as I am 99% certain you are spot on.
Thank you again
Alan
:-D