Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry deal from 2015 still works

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 11 Mar 2016 14:40

Joonie Cloonie posted the message below on 12/10/2015. It is still up and running and I have just used it 2 days ago.

"one of my free accounts at Ancestry has received a special offer:

World Deluxe membership on special offer at ancestry.ca for Canadian Thanksgiving

++++++++++++++

*40% off World Deluxe Annual Membership offer price: $179.88—valid until October 12, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. ET
. Annual memberships will be billed in one payment. Offers available for new subscribers only and not for renewal of current subscriptions. Your membership will automatically renew at the end of each membership period and your chosen method of payment will be charged $299.88 at that time, unless you are notified otherwise. If you don’t want to renew, cancel at least 2 days before your renewal date

++++++++++++++

midnight Eastern Time (Canada) Monday = 5 a.m. Tuesday so 10 hours left %3A-%29

>>> 180 CAD = 90 GBP

current worldwide price at ancestry.co.uk is £179.99

>>> so this offer is HALF PRICE for UK subscribers.

https://secure.ancestry.ca/Subscribe/Signup/Register/O-24217?rtype=11&flowId=11&o_xid=67792&o_lid=67792&o_sch=Email%20-%20Campaigns

then decline the offer to continue to ancestry.co.uk if you get it and continue to ancestry.ca for the details"

Below is a copy of my current subscription
Subscriptions
World Deluxe Membership
Started 10 March 2016
Ends on 10 March 2017
Billing cycle Annual

I paid 215.86 canadian dollars which included tax. It was paid with an english debit card in sterling which was equal to £113.11. I have checked my bank statement. Had I paid though .co.uk I would have paid £179.99 so a saving of £66.88.

I emailed Ancestry when my .co.uk World membership came up for renewal last week. I stated that I had been a member since January 2004 and thought that it was too expensive now. They replied confirming that my membership would be cancelled on the date it expired. They did not offer me any kind of discount to stay with them

Wendy

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2016 18:13

Well, it seems to have ended now!

I've just checked the Ancestry.ca site, and it's offering World Deluxe for 299.88 Canadian dollars, which is £158.64.

But still cheaper than £179.99

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 11 Mar 2016 18:23

Did you go through Junie Cloonies link in her post that's what I did. I can't test it now because I am now a member

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2016 18:44

Oops, no I didn't!

Have now got a year's World Deluxe for 215.86 Canadian dollars.

Excellent!

Had to use a different email address, as I've still got 4 days of the ancestry.co.uk sub to run.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 12 Mar 2016 00:15

Yep, that's exactly what I paid, my .co.uk sub had just run out.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 13 Mar 2016 12:29

Pleased you found it ArgyllGran, if only one person was able to take up the offer it was worthwhile posting it

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Mar 2016 18:11

Thanks to you, TS, for reminding me of JC's post about it!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Mar 2017 11:10

JonnieCloonie's link given in the opening post still works.

As you can see above, last year I took World Deluxe membership with ancestry.ca at the cheap price via that link.

To renew my existing membership this year would have cost 299.88 Canadian dollars, equivalent to £183 , give or take a few pence either side, depending on which conversion table site you look at. (And probably added tax)

However, via the link above, starting a new World Deluxe membership, with a different email address, has cost me 215.86 CD, approx £132. (Including taxes)

That's compared with (at today's conversion rates) -

£177.99 for ancestry.co.uk (1 year Worldwide);

169.99 Australian dollars -= c £105 for only 6 months World Heritage membership with ancestry.com.au (after 6 months it rises to 249.99 AD for 6 months - c £ 154);

$149 = c £162 for 6 months World Explorer membership with ancestry.com. It doesn't say what happens after the first 6 months, but does say that's a saving of $60 on the normal price for 6 months (c £49 saving)

EDIT:
If you buy ancestry.co.uk membership through Quidco you get 25% cashback.
That reduces the £177.99 to £133.49.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 21 Feb 2020 11:29

Thanks for that ;-)

Inky1

Inky1 Report 25 Feb 2020 11:58

I have worldwide membership of .co.uk, and I had presumed that it covered everything. But recently I was searching for an individual and included in the lists were Airforce records. Clicking on to that gave something called Fold3 for which Ancestry want even more money:-
All Access
ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP
$389
Unlimited access to all of Ancestry
More than 142 million pages with Newspapers.com
More than 537 million military records on Fold3

[ presume that is USD]

About UK, Royal Air Force Airmen Records, 1918-1940
This collection comprises records of Airmen serving in the Royal Air Force during the years 1918 up to, and including, 1940.
The Royal Air Force (RAF) was founded in 1918, after the uniting of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS). The records are arranged by service number and include the following details, where available:
Name
Date of Birth
Date of Service
Service Number
Name of Mother
Name of Father
Name of Spouse

Would one of you folk care to check if these records are available in your "World Deluxe membership" please?

Guy Phelps - spouse - Maude Emmeline Phelps

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Feb 2020 12:33

Fold3 is a separate, but linked thing. You can join either via Ancestry, or direct through Fold3's website.

They offer a free 7 day trial.

https://www.fold3.com/freetrial.php (also see below, re Guy Phelps)

The images of many WW1 army records on Ancestry are only viewable with Fold3 membership.
The same goes for the Air Force records. You can see the basic transcription on Ancestry, but for the image you need to have a Fold3 sub.

From Ancestry:

Guy Phelps
in the UK, Royal Air Force Airmen Records, 1918-1940
View Original Image on Fold3. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Name: Guy Phelps
Birth Date: 9 Dec 1881
Service Date: 2 May 1916
Service Number: 27637
Spouse: Maude Emmeline Phelps
Next of Kin: Maude Emmeline Phelps
Relation to Airman: Wife

Click on "View original image on Fold3", under the blanked out generic image, and it will take you to a link to the free trial, or full membership.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 25 Feb 2020 12:52

ArgyllGran

Many thanks.