Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I go now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 26 Mar 2016 23:24

In the 1939 Census, I have found that my mother changed her maiden name from Bainbridge to Ellsate. She married my father in 1945 and I can find the records for that. What I cannot find is how or where she got married. The actual Census form from 1939 was changed in ink; her maiden name is changed and her status is changed from "S" to I know not what as I cannot read it! Any help gratefully accepted!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Mar 2016 23:29

Stephen ..............

the 1939 Register was also used as the basis of developing the listing for the NHS when that came in in 1947.

The Register was kept up to date until about 1991 by names being changed if someone married. Records on the 1939 were opened to viewed if the death was registered in the UK up until the same time.

You will need to buy the marriage certificate in order to find out where she married

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Mar 2016 23:33

Stephen, I have had a look at the image...I can't decipher it except to say it definitely doesn't read as Ellsate.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Mar 2016 23:35

I found the record on the 1939 Register.

No change has been made to the S (= Single) on the Register, although there is a pen mark there. I think that is accidental, possibly as the "tick" was added when the list was being checked.

Her married name has actually been mistranscribed ........... it is Elliott

The entry on freebmd says the marriage was registered in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

It will cost you £9.25 (including post and handling) to buy that certificate from the General Register Office (GRO)

Never buy from anywhere else, as all other sites will charge you much more

patchem

patchem Report 27 Mar 2016 09:10

As Stephen's surname is Elliott, he probably knows when, where and to who, the marriage took place.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Mar 2016 17:15

The GAA in the left hand column next to a date indicates that the marriage was in Newcastle upon Tyne. The date could either be the date of the marriage OR the date when the register was updated with her married name.

You can check the area codes here:-

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/1939-register-enumeration-districts

Kath. x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 27 Mar 2016 22:39

GAA.
^^22 245
22---2---45,I would assume the date of marriage... reg March quarter 45.

Stephen

Stephen Report 27 Mar 2016 23:57

Yes my mother (Margaret Bainbridge) and father (Henry S Elliott) did not get married until 1945; I have both copies of their wedding register from online. Her maiden name on the 1945 marriage certificate is Bainbridge, her real maiden name. I can find no trace of any marriage in 1939.
Sylvain, it is definitely not Elliott; if you print the census record it quite clearly states Ellsate. I did think it might be Ellsath in print though.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2016 00:15

Stephen.............

yes, I know it says Ellsate on the record, and Ellsath on the census image. I DO look at images whenever possible.

I was clarifying, especially for other helpers, that this was not the name that one should look for in the attempt to help you

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Mar 2016 00:17

I have also looked at the record and would agree with Sylvia that it says Elliot (the writing is sprawled and not exactly clear and the (i) is mixed up with the (y) from the name above) - which is right of course for your parents marriage.

It does not mean that there was a marriage in 1939 - just that the 1939 register which gives her maiden name was updated at a later date with her married name. The register was regularly updated until 1991.

If you check other images you will see that lots of single women have had their name updated with their married name and a date after 1939 written in the margin to indicate when the marriage took place.

Kath. x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Mar 2016 11:30

Stephen,

In 1948 the NHS was formed and it gave everyone an entitlement to *free* health care,which required everyone to register with a doctor and the records were used from 1939 to form a doctors/NHS record....when your mother was put on the NHS list her 1939 record was then altered to her married name,hence the Bainbridge was overwritten to the latter surname.

There was no health service as we know it till 1948,when NI was introduced on people earnings.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2016 20:56

My great aunt is on the transcribed list under a second name. Luckily, I knew it was her, as we lived next door until I was 11, and I had simply looked at neighbours after finding my parents.

Her second marriage took place in 1951.

I find that some people are having problems because it is the "newer" name that is shown first, with the name that was actually used in 1939 is in brackets.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Mar 2016 00:11

"22---2---45,I would assume the date of marriage... reg March quarter 45."

It could be, but its also likely that was the date the Register was altered - I've found one which had a date in the Jan, but the marriage took place in the last quarter of the previous year.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Mar 2016 11:27

Have also looked at the 1939 image and it's 100% ELLIOTT, there is some overlap of the writing above and below which is what appears to have caused the mis-transcription.