Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re opening grave

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JPK

JPK Report 30 Mar 2016 20:01

Hi Amongst my aunts papers I have just found the bill for my grandfathers burial and one of the items was for ...re opening grave. £2.4.6d Does this mean opening an existing grave? The burial was in 1944.
Thanks Joan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Mar 2016 20:37

More than likely especially if your grandmother predeceased him. Alternatively it might have been where his parents or other close relative were buried

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Mar 2016 20:37

would seem so - probably reopened for another family member

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Mar 2016 20:41

If the paperwork gives a plot number, you could contact the cemetery office (if the cem still exists) and ask who else was buried in the same grave. They may make a charge.
If you're very lucky, there may be a headstone listing them.

JPK

JPK Report 30 Mar 2016 20:44

Many thanks for your replies. I think he may have been buried with his grandfather.
Joan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Mar 2016 22:18

have you tried looking online at Find a Grave??

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Mar 2016 22:51

Another site is deceasedonline.
A free result often says if someone else is buried in the same plot, but you do have to purchase credits to view the details.

JPK

JPK Report 31 Mar 2016 08:05

Thankyou so much I will have a look at both sites. Your help is much appreciated.
Joan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Mar 2016 09:24

If a family grave is purchased then there is a payment to reopen the grave for someone else to be buried in it . The grave owner too has to give consent for the new interrment

My grandmother purchased a 3 person grave when grandad died in 1939

She was the grave owner . When she died in 1958 she was interred in the grave and the ownership was transferred to her eldest child. My mums half sister from nans first marriage

That lady passed away in 2003 aged 101 in Cornwall but no one did anything about the family grave in SE London.

My brother passed away in 2014 and his wish was to be buried with Nan and grandad but red tape meant he couldn't because the grave owner was,nt able to give consent as she had already passed away

It can be a lot of red tape opening a grave for a new interrment

JPK

JPK Report 31 Mar 2016 11:00

Thanks Shirley I am learning a lot about burials and graves. Sadly my 96 year old aunt has dementia so I can't ask her but I feel fairly sure I will discover my grandfather was buried with at least one of his grandparents.

Joan