Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth certificates and names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 4 Apr 2016 10:30

Hi, I have uncovered a possible sibling to my dad. I have a birth year, location and parent surnames. The parent surnames are the same as my dads and the location of birth is Exeter where my dads mum went when she left him as a small boy. Rumours were that she was pregnant when she left. Anyway...Peter Bawden born in 1957 Exeter seems to a mystery. I whittled my search down to one person who seemed to match. I contacted a family member of his (stepson) and he says his stepdad was born in 1959 in Cornwall, however on investigating this there is no birth record. Also the person i thought it could be is Peter A Bawden not just Peter Bawden. I therefore searched with the A as a possible first name but still no one born in 1959. Basically the person i thought was who i was looking for doesnt seem to exist on record yet the record i have doesnt seem to have a person! Any advise would be sooo appreciated. Thanks in advance!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2016 10:43

Welcome to the Boards Kim. As bothPeters are probably still living, its a little uncomfortable discussing the circumstances of their births.

On the face of it, it would seem worth purchasing the birth certificate. If you haven't done so before, the only site to use is the official one
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
The certificate would cost £9.25 and include world wide P&P.

Peter A might have been adopted, or the A added at baptism. Just a thought.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Apr 2016 13:15

there's also a Gary born to the same mother - Thompson - in 1968

kim

kim Report 4 Apr 2016 18:38

I agree about it being uncomfortable discussing births etc when they are still alive. I think I will purchase the birth certificate. I think he might have been adopted given the mothers history.Sadly my dad died when he was 61, 5 years ago. Given that my dad always struggled with identity due to not knowing his mum i feel that i should try to find this man in case he has gaps in his past too.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Apr 2016 00:26

The Peter you contacted has his surname mistranscribed as Balsden on the birth
index.

Have you looked for a death for the mother? Do you have her date of birth?

Rose

kim

kim Report 7 Apr 2016 15:23

I know the mother was born in exeter in 1921. Her name was Margaret Thompson. Do you mean the Peter I contacted has a misspelling of his surname and actually is who he says he is? Thanks