Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Privacy on posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

oldbean

oldbean Report 5 Apr 2016 20:17

Perhaps I have been naive but I thought that when asking for help on GR that this was kept within the membership but on googling an ancestor, there is my post for all to see. I am disappointed and although delighted with the outcome of the request I wish I hadn't gone into as much detail!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Apr 2016 21:34

Anything posted on a public forum like Genes will be found by doing a Google search.

For that very reason it is always better to give any sensitive information by private message (which will NOT be found by Googling).

Kath. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Apr 2016 06:18

You can edit your posts.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Apr 2016 16:11

It's why us helpers post to threads that show actual birth dates,personal email addresses etc that that it's against T&C,s of the site to post that info

Genes is an open site so anything posted on it on the open forum can be found by Google

It has it's pros and cons for anyone looking for famil info

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Apr 2016 20:27

mgnv ........

yes, you can edit you posts, but it is more than likely that the original version willstill be found on the web

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Apr 2016 09:05

Well, I'm not so sure abt that - the wayback machine has only taken 4 snapshots of the genealogy board in 2016. I don't know how google works - would they bring up a cached copy of a page with a name in it if the current copy omits the name - as I say, I don't know.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Apr 2016 21:21

mgnv ..............

it has been known, although usually if a cached copy is raised, clicking on the link will say something like "this link can not be found"