Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What happens when nobody responds?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 6 Apr 2016 11:16

Hiya! I'm not a constant updater of my tree, but I do look and amend stuff fairly regularly - weekly, if not more often, then I'll have a big splurge and spend several days on it (like now). I noticed that even though I email lots of people from my hot matches (good, certain matches, not just tenuous ones), nobody seems to reply any more. I'm guessing they haven't renewed their memberships? Is that possible that the tree is still there, but the person just doesn't receive any emails? Seems a shame that someone would dedicate time to enter information, then just let the thing go cold. And it's very frustrating knowing that there are distant relations out there, but they can't be contacted. They must have been interested in their ancestry at some point. Does anyone know if they would be sent out as an email reminder, or just to the GR mailbox? I'm feeling really despondent at the moment. Shame you can't "poke" them to look at their messages, like the old Facebook thing! Does anyone else feel that other potential "finds" must have lost interest, but they might rekindle their enthusiasm if they knew someone out there wanted to contact them?

Julie x :-(

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Apr 2016 11:48

Hi Julie.
If Genes has the current email address, the tree owner will automatically be contacted. They will be able to respond even if membership has lapsed (I think!).
Easy way to tell if message has been opened is to go to 'sent messages'. If the little green envelope is visible, it hasn't been seen.
Jan

Kense

Kense Report 6 Apr 2016 11:48

Have a look at this thread it explains why people don't respond
http://www.genesreunited.com.au/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1273549

If you look in your Sent box you can see whether the messages you have sent have been opened.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 7 Apr 2016 09:53

I think it's even more annoying when you can see that people have opened your message but not replied. I sent out 12 polite messages to people who have an ancestor in their trees with the same name and DoB as someone I am having great trouble tracing. 9 have been opened of which 1 replied saying not the right lady, but not even a negative reply from any of the others. So annoying and rather rude I feel.

Sue

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 7 Apr 2016 18:21

Give them a gentle reminder, Cornish S.

I sometimes have a quick read of messages, but don't have the time to search through my info for the answer at that time.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 8 Apr 2016 19:19

Welcome to the Community boards Julie.

(I'll let Julie know how to find her replies) :-)

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 9 Apr 2016 10:15

Thanks grannyfranny, probably worth a try, but I do wish GR had a system for copying others into messages rather than having to repeat the whole thing over and over again. Still trying to find the lady tho!

Sue

Julie

Julie Report 9 Apr 2016 15:04

Thank you, All!

Oh, no! I'm such a wally! I wondered why Cynthia had kindly told me that there were messages waiting for me, when I had responded to them (on this thread yesterday morning), only to look and find that although I wrote out a (long) message, it looks like I forgot to hit the "submit" button to post it!

So, thanks again, everyone, very useful to know about the envelope icons showing unread. Also that link to the thread Kense posted has proved to be very interesting reading.

And, thanks to Cynthia, too, for helping out..

Going to remember to post the message this time!

:-D :-D :-D

Regards

Julie x