Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help me

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Apr 2016 07:31

Hi all im new to building my family tree i have platinum subscription with baptism and parish records added i have found a record transcription for my great grandmother its her birth. But no where in that transcription it says who her parents are all i have is the number of the entry eg line number page number and volume i live in australia how can i access further records like view her proper birth certificate i would be glad of any help
Thanks Deborah

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 12 Apr 2016 08:09

Deborah, if you would like to give us the information that you have we may be able to help. It may be that GR may only have access to a transcript. Or if the birth was after 1837 it may only be the GRO indexes. If that's the case, then you would need to buy the certificate from the GRO to get the details.

Have you found you great grandmother on any census please? It may be possible to work out her parents that way.

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Apr 2016 08:28

Hi Rootgatherer,
Thanks for your quick response but since this post i have found a census and found all members of her household so now i have the information her parents my great great grandparents and siblings i'm so excited so i'm starting from there but its nice to know people are willing to help have a great day
Thanks Deborah

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 12 Apr 2016 09:06

No problem. Good luck with your research :-)

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Apr 2016 09:38

Hi Rootgatherer
You may be able to help me I'm researching my Grandfather now Ernest pickering born 1916 in hartlepool england and the same problem found the transcription Record for him and it has mothers maiden name of harper and all number entries of where to find things but i'm hitting walls there is no census records for them this is all I have found

First Name ERNEST
Last Name PICKERING
Birth Year 1916
Gender Male
Mother's Maiden Name HARPER
Year 1916
Country England
County Durham
Event Quarter 4
District HARTLEPOOL
District Number
Volume 10A
Page 200
Entry Number
Line Number 80
DOR
Category Births, Marriages & Deaths
Record set England & Wales births 1837-2006
Collections from Great Britain
Deborah

Annabel

Annabel Report 12 Apr 2016 09:51

Pickering Household 1939 registy
23 Dalton Street , West Hartlepool C.B., Durham, England

Ernest Pickering 24 Sep 1916 Male Test Cutter Steel Work Heavy Worker Single 374 2
Emily Pickering 01 Feb 1878 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Widowed 374 1

Ann

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 12 Apr 2016 09:54

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Wednesday 28 December 1932

Little Newsboy Duped

The "Football Mail" was mentioned in a case at West Hatlepool Police Court today when a 16 year old boy, Ernst Pickering, of Bentley Street was charged with false pretences- The complainant was a 7 year old newspaper boy, who said Pickering came up to him and asked him if he could change a two shilling piece and said he would have a 'Football Mail' as well. Complainant gave him one and 11pence change, but later found that what he had supposed was a two shilling piece was an Italian silver coin. - Pickering told the bench he wanted a 'Football Mail' and he gave the boy the coin on the spur of the moment. Afterwards he was very sorry. - Defendants elder brother said he boxed Ernest's ears when he had heard what he had done, and went to the newpaper boy with the 2 shilling piece. His mother, he added, was in hospital with a broken leg and did not know anything about the boy's offence. Pickering was placed on probation.
----------------------------------------------------------

Ernest's family is at this address in 1911

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 12 Apr 2016 09:59

This ties in with the address on the 1939:

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Monday 15 December 1941

Ernest Pickering of 25 Dalton Street, and Hannah Bulmer of Jesmond Road were each fined 20s at West Hatlepool today for permitting a houselight to be visible during the blackout.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Monday 29 September 1941

BIRTHS
PICKERING - Sept 27 at 23 Dalton Street, to Mr and Mrs Pickering (nee Pearl Franklin) a boy
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Another announcement given for another birth to this couple in 1944

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 12 Apr 2016 10:08

His parent's marriage:

Marriages Sep 1897 (>99%)
HARPER Emily Hartlepool 10a 246 <<<<<<<
Jobling John Prest Hartlepool 10a 246
Oglesby Mary Eliza Hartlepool 10a 246
Pickering Ernest Hartlepool 10a 246 <<<<<<<<<<

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 12 Apr 2016 10:11

Death of Ernest's mother:

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Tuesday 07 December 1954
PICKERING on December 4th in hospital, Emily aged 76 years, dearly loved wife of the late Ernest Pickering. Cortege to leave 34 Dalton Street Wednesday 1-50pm for service in St. Paul's Church.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 12 Apr 2016 10:13

His parents/ family in 1911:

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
16 Bentley St West Hartlepool, West Hartlepool, Durham, England

Ernest Pickering Head Married Male Cartman 33 1878 Bishop Middlesham Durham
Emily Pickering Wife Married Female - 33 1878 West Hpool Durham
William Pickering Son - Male School 12 1899 West Hpool Durham
Susannah Pickering Daughter - Female School 10 1901 West Hpool Durham
Isaac Pickering Son - Male - 8 1903 West Hpool Durham
Henry Pickering Son - Male - 7 1904 West Hpool Durham
Emily Pickering Daughter - Female - 5 1906 West Hpool Durham
Jane Pickering Daughter - Female - 4 1907 West Hpool Durham
Margaret Pickering Daughter - Female - 2 1909 West Hpool Durham
May Pickering Daughter - Female - 0 1911 West Hpool Durham

Annabel

Annabel Report 12 Apr 2016 10:16

There is a family tree on Ancestry

for the Pickering and Harpers going way back.

Ann

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Apr 2016 10:30

Deborah, in case you haven't realised, UK census have been taken every 10 years from 1841. The last one released to open view was the 1911. We won't be able to access the 1921 until 2021 at the earliest.
In the meantime, we're fortunate to be given access to the 1939 register which listed everyone living in England and Wales on 29 Sep 1939 at the outbreak of WW2.
There are a few exceptions; those who registered late, or servicemen who'd already been conscripted/called up. They are on a different register which hasn't been released.

The entries on the Register are Closed if the person was born less than 100 years ago or, if they were born after that, a death registration has yet to be matched to them. It was a working document until 1991 as the information provided the basis for the NHS registration & regularly updated.

The 1939 register can only be accessed on Findmypast although GR members who have it as part of their FMP subscription are happy to look things up for you.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 12 Apr 2016 10:33

His father's death:

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Tuesday 01 October 1929

PICKERING- On the 29th ult. at 16 Bentley Street, Ernest, 51 years, the dearly beloved husband of Emily Pickering, also the son of the late Edwin Alonzo and Jane Pickering.- Cortege to leave the above address on Wednesday Oct 2nd at 2.45 for service at St. James. All Friends and relatives are kindly invited- At Rest

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 12 Apr 2016 21:51

Ernest Pickering
Baptism Date: 13 Jan 1878
Baptism Place: Bishop Middleham, Durham, England
Father: Edwin Alonza Pickering
Mother: Jane
FHL Film Number: 2092825
Reference ID: item 2 p 16

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 12 Apr 2016 21:54

Edwin Alonzo Pickering
Birth Date: Feb 1836
Parish: Leeds, St Peter
Search Photos: Search for 'Leeds, St Peter' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Baptism Date: 18 Jan 1837
Father: Thomas Pickering
Mother: Elfrida Pickering

On image DOB 29 Feb 1836

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 12 Apr 2016 22:02

Thomas Pickering
Marriage Date: 8 Nov 1830
Marriage Place: Saint Peter,Leeds,York,England
Spouse: Elfrida Castelow
FHL Film Number: 0918387-389

safc

safc Report 12 Apr 2016 22:41

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
30, William Street, Hartlepool, Durham, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Thomas Pickering Head Married Male 28 1853 Plumber Durham, England
Transcription
Margaret Pickering Wife Married Female 25 1856 - Wolviston, Durham, England
Transcription
Emily Pickering Daughter Single Female 2 1879 - Hartlepool, Durham, England
Transcription
Oliver A Pickering Son Single Male 0 1881 - Hartlepool, Durham, England

safc

safc Report 12 Apr 2016 22:42

Baptisms Hartlepool 1881 Oliver Anderson Pickering 30 William St.

Deborah

Deborah Report 13 Apr 2016 06:06

To all who have provided me with info a big thankyou lots to explore and hopefully connect :-)