Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

identifying photos

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 15 Apr 2016 13:05

hi can anyone tell me if anyone on here analyses photos for dates? or is it something you have to do professionally. I have a photo that I think I know the date but I am unsure and anyones input would be gratefully received
kevin

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Apr 2016 13:17

Kevin, if you would like to upload the photo to your 'keepsafe' , then make it open to all to view and post the link here, someone will take a look, plenty of experience on the board :-)

Kevin

Kevin Report 15 Apr 2016 14:38

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/edit/29144163

please find the photo here can anyone estomate the age,
1902?
thank you
Kevin

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Apr 2016 14:53

I don't think you have made the photo public Kevin. It is blurred out when I try to view it.

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Apr 2016 15:26

I can't see it either because it's marked as private.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 15 Apr 2016 15:28

As Kathleen says, it's not public, we have to request to view it on that link.

If you google 'dating photographs' lots of advice comes up- from identifying clothes, jewelry, landmarks, family, photo type/ tint/ card/ paper, photographers etc.

Kevin

Kevin Report 15 Apr 2016 15:30

it should be public now

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2016 15:49

Could it be a bit later - 22 June 1911 - the coronation of George V & Mary of Tec?

If you have the left hand side of the photo, it might show a better picture of George V rather than the bits at the bottom.

Kevin

Kevin Report 15 Apr 2016 15:51

do you think it is like a celebration picture?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2016 15:57

It seems that way. Mind you, the people in the photo aren't all dressed up (hats etc)

Try and enlarge the 'royalty' on your computer and see if you can find matching images on the internet. There was one on Pinterest for a woman with the same style of tiara, but not having registered to that site......

Kevin

Kevin Report 15 Apr 2016 16:03

lol thats because they were dirt poor- im not even sure this was their house!

malyon

malyon Report 16 Apr 2016 17:05

it looks like it is king edward and alexandra seen same photo just now think it was 1902

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 16 Apr 2016 21:40

OH thinks it is European royalty because the crown above the photo isn't British. So, one of Victoria's other grandchildren?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Apr 2016 22:05

Do you know who the people in the photo are, Kevin?
I mean, do you know which country the photo was taken in?

For some reason, the photo makes me think of Germany.

Kevin

Kevin Report 17 Apr 2016 14:43

Thanks for your suggestions.I was told this was my great grandmother and one of her children so taken in london, uk Argylllgran. of course this could be myth.if this were her and it was 1902 it would mean she was about 30 ish, this woman looks older hence my request for ideas
all ideas welcome
kevin

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 Apr 2016 18:07

This link is a picture taken at the time of George V coronation in 1911, and the clothing is similar. This would make your great grandmother 40ish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bollingtondiscoverycentre/3163651896

malyon

malyon Report 18 Apr 2016 17:08

women did look older in those days but that lady looks more like a grandmother