Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Off to meet 4th cousins tomorrow

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 17 Apr 2016 22:46

Going to Newport in South Wales on the train tomorrow for the day to meet two 4th cousins, who are also 4th cousins to each other. One of them will be a witness at my wedding on Saturday, we've all been in touch for a few years on facebook swapping photos and gossip. Without the internet I know we wouldnt have come into touch and broken the ice with each other. While another very distant cousin (5th cousin?!) gives me away! Im so glad I'll have some family at my own wedding! :-D Its so exciting, just wanted to share. Night all xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Apr 2016 23:22

hope you have a lovely meeting :-D :-D

RStar

RStar Report 22 Apr 2016 22:24

Thankyou, we did!!! :-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Apr 2016 09:04

That's so lovely Rstar. Like you, I have met my extended family thanks to doing the family tree. In fact, I returned yesterday from a Paris trip with my 2nd cousin!

RStar

RStar Report 27 Apr 2016 13:23

:-) xx

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 1 May 2016 17:11

From searching trees at Ancestry, I discovered a 5th cousin in a line I don't know many people in, and there are very few near where I am. She lives only 30 miles from me ... the tall dude and I don't drive but I said that when my mum comes to visit later in the spring, she and my uncle would love to have them come here for a visit.

The tree owner in question is the husband of my 5th cousin. He says that his wife 'is not that interested in the outer realms of our tree'. He just wants our names for his tree ... well at least he has corrected the errors in my line, but he doesn't have the real facts for my grandparent's parent who is the one not related to his wife, or much of anything about my grandparent's generation ... and he ain't gettin' any more from me. :-)

Sharing family history and stories with far-flung new rellies is interesting and fun. Padding their trees for them, not so much. I've 'met' too many of that kind ... now I just ask, when the info about in their tree about my own family is messed up as it usually is, that they just remove it.

You're lucky yours are so congenial and it's lovely to hear that story!

RStar

RStar Report 16 Oct 2016 17:56

I have quite a few who aren't so congenial :) Was a lovely meeting though, my great grannys brothers great granddaughter came from South Wales for my wedding :) As did two more distant cousins from Chesterfield and Essex. Really appreciated, too. So nice having family.