Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Co UK- any discounts

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 10 May 2016 09:17

My subscription is due at the end of this month does anyone know of any discounts available at the moment I have Worldwide but as I also belong to FMP and a couple of Family History Organisations I may change this to just the UK.

I cannot understand why this company does not offer discounts to long standing members they have them for newcomers but seem not to want to bother keeping their tried and tested subscribers over the years.

Thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 May 2016 10:07

You could phone them and probably get a discount of at least 10%. Tell them you already have FMP and are thinking of cancelling altogether

http://www.ancestry.com/cs/contact-us
UK number - 0-800-404-9723 (toll free from a landline)
Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 10:00 pm GMT
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 am - 8:00 pm GMT

If you live outside the UK, other numbers are on the link.

There are various voucher codes available, allegedly for new users. No idea how they would work as you're already a subscriber- just do an internet search.

greyghost

greyghost Report 10 May 2016 10:51

You could try this one - 20% off 12 month world subs. today

http://www.genealogydiscount.co.uk

or have a look at this thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1357050

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 10 May 2016 11:13

Thanks for your help, did phone them today but no discount, sounds like I will have to cancel my subscription and maybe phone again or try their site via another country, looked at the other thread will check with this at end of month.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 May 2016 14:05

If you use the cash back site Quidco there is 25% cashback on an Ancestry subscription. You don't get it back straight away but the site is great for buying from all sorts of retailers. I always check before buying anything online to see if the retailer is on Quidco. Lots of big names from the high street are there.

We have had hundreds of pounds back over the last few years.

Kath. x

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 10 May 2016 18:00

Thanks, great I'll try Quidco when my sub finishes

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 10 May 2016 18:00

Thanks, great I'll try Quidco when my sub finishes

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 May 2016 22:27

greyghost linked to my rather complicated post about getting the best prices at Ancestry (not counting discounts) --

always check the prices at all the portals: .com, .co.uk, .ca, .com.au

then use this site to convert price in the local currency to pounds:

http://www.xe.com/

and you will be able to tell which portal (country version of Ancestry) has the best price

then make sure you are signed in at the portal with the best price and renew your sub there

you could save substantially that way alone

the Australian Ancestry site is often the cheapest option

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 May 2016 22:43

I just checked the various portals (not signed in at any, so I showed as a new subscriber) and done the currency conversions at xe

*12 months worldwide*

.co.uk -- £179.99 (Save £60) (so regular £239.99)

.com.au -- AU $249.99 (Save AU $109) = £126.44 (so regular £181.55)

.ca -- CAD $299.88 (Save $60) = £161.38 (so regular £193.67)

.com -- USD $199 (Save $70) = £138.59 (so regular £187.37)

Paying through the UK portal is the absolutely worst idea.

The Australian version price is by far the lowest (and the UK price the highest) so if you do renew, be sure to check out the renewal price at the .com.au portal

My other tip is to sign up with free accounts (using different email addresses) at all of the portals

and then when there are special deals for newcomers, you will get email invitations

I have actually abandoned an account and opened a new one, in order to get the great deal for new subscribers

(you can still receive and answer messages at an account that is not paid up ... I don't know what happens with trees as I do not keep one at Ancestry)

I think the thing is to cancel a subscription first, just before renewal, and then check the prices for subscribing at each portal

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 May 2016 23:25

Like GR, Trees remain. However, any records you've used to create the profile are hidden from view. That's one possible reason why we sometimes say that someone elses tree has no sources, just 'events' on the time line.

If you re-subscribe to the same account, they magically reappear!

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 16 May 2016 08:09

Hi JooonieCloonie and others

Thanks

for your help cannot believe the difference in prices I had heard that some of them are cheaper but the difference between the Australian and UK one is amazing, I have now cancelled my subscription which ends at the end of this month and will try the Australian or other ones before joining again.

They obviously think we members in UK are better off than those in other countries!!.

Beth

Beth Report 21 May 2016 20:57

WEll I hope at the end of the year they do not take a huge amount of money on my credit card. I just have a standard membership.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 May 2016 21:05

Lesley and others - there is a special on at Ancestry.ca this weekend

sign up at the .ca portal for a free account - make sure you are not logged in under your own account if you have one, and open a new free account with an email address you have not used at Ancestry before

the special is for the Canadian bank holiday weekend and it is for free access to

*ALL U.K. RECORDS*

until May 23, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. ET. (midnight Monday night eastern time, so 5 a.m. Tuesday)

of course this is only useful for someone who does not have an Ancestry sub for UK records at present :-)

http://www.ancestry.ca/cs/victoriaday2016

you may need to be signed in to your free account to see this

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 22 May 2016 07:37

Thanks for that information my subscription does not finish until the end of the month. I have a sub with FMP so think I will manage on that one for a while although I do not like it as much with Ancestry which when you find a record they will give you information on other ones for this person which the other sites do not do.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 May 2016 14:26

Ha, if only Ancestry gave correct information :-D

I was just looking at one the other day where, according to Ancestry's links, someone born in 1845 was given the freedom of the city in London in 1825 ...

I do love how in my own case, all of the corrections and added info I have put in Ancestry records over the years are now the source of all of the links it offers for my people. One would almost think that Ancestry had done some work itself!

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 24 May 2016 11:55

Lesley cancel your subscription
and in the box that ask you why you are canceling just put that the site is to much money
then if you are lucky they may give you the option to renew for another
3 month

thay done this to me 3 month back as my 3 month has just run out
and it was only about £20 and that was for wordwide

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 24 May 2016 22:35

Thanks I have already cancelled and given the reason as to why so will be interested to see what happens at the end of the month.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 26 May 2016 16:05

Try this one!

My free account at ancestry.ca just got another offer - I think this is the same price I got at the end of last year.

It doesn't seem to be available at the main ancestry.ca site, which still shows a 12-month Worldwide sub as
$25/mo = $300/year = £157/year

The offer is for
$180/year = £94/year !!

I think this link should work ... I signed out of my ancestry.ca free account and went to this link and the offer was there:

https://secure.ancestry.ca/subscribe/signup/register/O-24217?rtype=11&flowId=11&o_xid=71211&o_lid=71211&o_sch=Email+-+Campaigns

Your membership selection
World Deluxe Membership
Initial annual payment of $179.88

(that's $15/month = £8/month)

Even if your existing sub hasn't finished yet, you could get a new one this way, if you don't mind changing accounts.

I have a feeling you would not get a better deal from ancestry.co.uk !

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 30 May 2016 19:04

for anyone interested, this offer is still live

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1360037

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 28 Jul 2016 11:59

When I renewed last August, I did it via my Quidco cashback site. I checked with them that I would get the cashback on my renewal (£179.99) and it was confirmed that I would.

I still have not received the cashback and have just had a reminder from Ancestry that my renewal is again due on 8th August at £179.99. I wonder if anyone else has been successful in getting cashback on an Ancestry renewal.

Also are there currently any renewal options available, please?

Terry