Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Gibson married Elizabeth Maria Wilton

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 19 May 2016 05:18

I have a marriage certificate for James Gibson (a Labourer ) to Elizabeth Maria Wilton (aged 28 years ) on the 2nd September 1905 at the Roman Catholic Cathedral Perth Western Australia It says he is a 42 year old Widow (date unknown )
It states his parents were Thomas Gibson (a Clerk ) & Elizabeth Shepherd.
What I am trying to find out is where was he born who was he 1st married to, also if possible where were his parents born & married.
I have all of his information eg children etc after his marriage to Elizabeth Maria & Elizabeth Maria's family so do not need help with that thank you.
Many thanks for any help
Ellen

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 May 2016 06:16

Do you know anything else about James?

For instance, was he an Australian or born in UK?

Who were the Witnesses to the Marriage?

When and where did he die?

Thanks

Ellen

Ellen Report 19 May 2016 07:26

Thank you for your reply.It says on his son William Francis birth certificate (24th August 1912 at 2nd Avenue Kelmscott WA ) that James was born in Mintarion South Australia he is now 52 years old (born 1860? different to his marriage age.
I have checked out births in Sth Aust but none with parents Thomas Gibson & Elizabeth Shepherd
I can not find a death for him.Its possibly between 1917 & 1925 as Elizabeth Maria is living on her own at a different address in 1925
There are no witness's on the Certificate
The only information I have of James & Elizabeth Maria is from the Electrol Rolls
1909 JAMES & ELIZABETH MARIA are living at Newcastle Road Guildford he is a Labourer
1916 / 1917 They are living at 2nd Avenue Kelmscott he is still a labourer.
He remains a mystery regarding his age & parents names. ,You would think when he married the 2nd time he would remember who his 1st wife was maybe he other children?

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 May 2016 08:01

There is this Family Notice in the Western Mail (Perth, W A.) on 11 Sep 1924 of a death?

GIBSON On 2 Aug, 1924 at Claremont Mental Hospital, James Gibson, late Mintaro, South Australia, privately interred Karrakatta Cemetery. Inserted by his Wife and Family, Kelmscott

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 May 2016 08:28

Could this be a possible sister of James?

Family Notice in the South Australian Register on 29 Jun 1867

Death

GIBSON On the 22nd May, Mintaro, Louisa, the beloved daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth, aged two years six months

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 May 2016 08:34

Unfortunately, this Family Notice doesn't give a child's name! Could it be James?

Adelaide Observer, 28 Jan 1860 - Birth

On the 20th of January, Mrs Thomas Gibson, of Mintaro, of a son.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 May 2016 09:08

There is this Marriage which might be connected to the Family

The Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA) 28 May 1877

SPALL-GIBSON

On 23rd of May, at St John's Church, Auburn, by Licence, by The Rev C W Hawkins, Edward Philip Spall, youngest son of the late John Spall, of Kooringa, to Bessie Gibson, only daughter of the late Thomas Gibson Esq of Mintaro

There was a Family Notice of a son born on 4 Jan 1856 and a daughter born to Mrs Thomas Gibson on 1 Aug 1857 both in Mintaro but no names given for the children.

Perhaps the daughter was Bessie?

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 May 2016 09:31

Another Marriage that might be connected to the Family?

The Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA) 2 Oct 1886

GIBSON - MARSH

On 11th of September, at Kensington, by The Rev J Haslam, Colin, the third son of Thomas Gibson, of Mintaro, to Annie, eldest daughter of Henry Marsh, of Beverley

Ellen

Ellen Report 19 May 2016 09:59

Thank you Londonbelle the death notice is definitely him,I did see one for the suburb of Claremont but did not connect it

Daughter Louise sounds right,to.

I am actually helping a friend research her husbands Great Grandfather James Gibson the son of Thomas & Elizabeth she will be delighted to receive this information

You have been a tremendous help I find this site is tops with providing help

Many thanks Ellen

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 May 2016 10:06

I will have another look this afternoon, so cone back to the Thread just in case I find anything else, Ellen

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 May 2016 10:52

Australia, Birth Index, 1788-1922
Name: Elizabeth Gibson
Birth: 2 Aug 1857 - Mintaro
Civil: Clare, South Australia, Australia

Name: Colin Gibson
Birth: 11 Apr 1862 - Mintaro

Name: Louisa Gibson
Birth: 20 Jan 1865 - Mintaro

Name: Henry Gibson
Birth: 15 Jul 1868 - Mintaro

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 May 2016 15:47

Wondering whether this could be James's mother?

The South Australian Chronicle - Saturday 15 Dec 1894

GIBSON - On the 9th of December, at her son-in-law's residence, Elizabeth Gibson, aged 67, late of Mintaro. An old Colonist of 48 years.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 May 2016 18:22

Not sure if below relates, from google search...

Chris :)

(Educational facilities at Mintaro were provided as early as 1853 with Edward James as Head Teacher, who was replaced by Thomas Gibson in 1854. Gibson stayed until 1860)

http://www.southaustralianhistory.com.au/mintaro.htm

Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904) Saturday 20 November 1858

Thomas Gibson has been appointed Agent for the Registration of ... Births and Deaths at Mintaro,

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y

(try above, search, Phrase thomas gibson Words mintaro)

Although, some Birth Notices on above, look to relate to Thomas Gibson, Elizabeth Bennett/s, from below online database)

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

edits (to go with Notice posted above)

Death
1894 223/319 GIBSON Elizabeth (Relative Name) Thomas GIBSON (DH) Adelaide

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 May 2016 18:31

You would think he would make sure all his children's births were properly registered!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 May 2016 18:55

Ellen .............

may I suggest that you add "Australia" to the title of this thread?

We do have some members from Australia who have a much better idea of where information might be found.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 May 2016 19:02

you, and therefore us, do not know where james' first marriage took place.

On this site ...........

http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx

There are 2 marriages in WA that took place before his marriage to Elizabeth, one of which took place in Fremantle ...............

Gibson James Male Johnston Elizabeth Female Mingenew 70 1894
Gibson James Male Sweetman Charlotte Female Fremantle 736 1900

no deaths shown in WA for women with those names.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 May 2016 20:33

(them below perhaps)

Chris :)

The Daily News (Perth, WA : 1882 - 1950) Friday 24 January 1913 p 3 Article

A SEPARATION CLAIM.
Elizabeth Maria Gibson proceeded against her husband, James Gibson, at
the City Court to-day for a separation, maintenance, and the custody of her
four infant children, on the ground of persistent cruelty.
The evidence showed that the parties had been married for seven years, and
that the defendant had neglected to provide his wife with reasonable maintenance, and had persistently ill treated her. He was a confirmed gambler, and was addicted to drink, .and attended every race meeting 'held about the metropolis'.
The Bench granted the application, fixing maintenance at £1 per week.

Ellen

Ellen Report 20 May 2016 10:36

Wow what great information you have given me thanks so much.
When I first posted my message I had the parents of James Gibson as Thomas Gibson & Elizabeth Shepherd,I now believe Elizabeth was actually Elizabeth Bennetts I think that James made a mistake on his marriage certificate with his mothers maiden name. (same as he didn't remember his first wifes name )The only children found are all born to a Thomas Gibson & Elizabeth Bennetts nothing for a Elizabeth Shepherd.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 May 2016 10:41

????

Elizabeth Bennetts
in the Australia, Marriage Index, 1788-1950
Name: Elizabeth Bennetts
Spouse Name: Thomas Gibson
Marriage Date: 19 Nov 1853
Marriage Place: Penwortham
Registration Place: Adelaide, South Australia
Page Number: 48
Volume Number: 16

Ellen

Ellen Report 24 May 2016 16:39

I have found out that James Gibson's 1st wife was a Mary Alice Adelaide Reed (father John Reed ) they married 5th May 1894 at P M Manse Adelaide.

Also found out his Grandfather was ( Rev )James Gibson Rector of Mildenham Suffolk so maybe Thomas (his father ) was born in Suffolk ?