Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Babies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 May 2016 21:34

Hi all! Does anybody know if I can find the resting place of a baby under 3 months old. I know that she is buried in a churchyard and have found the names of all buried there but her's is not listed. She died in 1943 and I have a feeling that she would have been buried with somebody else. Could I find this out? Do you think that the church would have a record of where she is? Thanks in advance for any help.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 May 2016 22:17

where she is buried could depend on her parents ................. if she was not a still birth, then the parents could well have decided where to bury her.

If she was a still birth, then she could be in a grave, or even in the coffin, of someone else.

IF she was in a church yard, the church might have a record of where she is ...... many churches did keep such records, as did many cemeteries.

You should try contacting the church to see if they still have their registers, and if not, where they are.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 May 2016 22:26

If you have gleened the names from headstones and she was placed with someone else being buried the same day then there wont be a headstone for her,but still could be recorded in the church burial records under a birth name as by 3 months the birth would have had to have been registered.,,ie given a name.
a still birth wont be named nor be registered in the usual way,but entered into a seperate register for such.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 May 2016 11:41

We found out who my husband's baby brother was buried with in the 1940's from the church records after we found his death at the County Records Office. He died on the same day he was born and was buried 2 days later in the coffin of a 2 year old girl.

The church was no longer there but we were told which church nearby had the Sexton's records and this was where the information came from. They couldn't tell us the exact plot number but could tell us which quarter of the churchyard he was buried in and who with which at least gave us somewhere to put a small wooden cross with his name and date on it. We were told that as the churchyard was now closed we couldn't erect a permanent headstone but we hadn't expected to do this anyway.

Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 May 2016 13:19

Thank you all for your replies. I will now get in touch with the church! :-)