Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed to date a photo

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 4 Jun 2016 20:38

When my father died some years ago my brother found among Dad's possessions a number of "mystery" photos - no idea who they are or the locality where they were taken, but I do think they are family photos.

We have been able to allocate some of them to different branches of the family even if we don't know exactly who they are but some are a complete mystery and I thought it might help if I could give some of them a rough date.

I'm not very knowledgeable about costume so I've started by uploading one to my Keepsafe in the hope that one of you kind souls will be able to suggest a date range for it. My own feeling is that is just before or even during WW1 but I could be way out with that. Please take a look at:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/36501682

I'll be grateful for any ideas you have.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 4 Jun 2016 20:54

I would agree with you on the date, no later than 1920.

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Jun 2016 21:34

I have a lot of photos around 1900 to 1905 ( dated by weddings) and the neckline was higher, but have one of my nan in 1921 and the blouse top is very similar as is the hair, so I'd probably go between 1910 to 1922 ish.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 4 Jun 2016 21:51

Thanks. I'll start looking at what girl children I have born between 1900 and 1920 and see if I can make a guess at who the child is.

malyon

malyon Report 6 Jun 2016 19:55

just looked on web site clothing 1910's there is a dress like the one your picture has of the little girl

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 7 Jun 2016 01:06

I just looked at your photo, Vera

I have a photo of my Grandmother with the same hairstyle as the lady in your photo. Also a similar neckline.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/4875094

My Gran was born in 1893. Not sure how old she is in this photo. Possibly in her mid 20s?

brigid

brigid Report 7 Jun 2016 04:36

Lovely photos Vera and Jem .rootschat has a section dedicated to photos.restoring and dating ..you would get lots of comments and advice from that site...and get to see other Photo s to compare .it's a free site !

Good luck ...keep us informed if you find any more clues .

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 7 Jun 2016 10:43

Thanks Brigid :-)

I will look into rootschat :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 7 Jun 2016 18:30

Thanks everyone for advice. I haven't yet had time to look any further but will let you know if I come up with anything.