Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage settlements -Early English History

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 11 Jun 2016 15:30

I have three males who appear to be grandfather, son and grandson; The name Massey is spelt in various ways, but they are all of Denfield Hall, Rostherne, Cheshire. England.

1, William Massey & Alice Booth - his will dated 1533 (not seen)

2. Hugh Massey & Jane Smythe, (Hugh dies before his father)
Marriage settlement 1526

3 William Massey & Jane Prestlande.. marriage must take place before.15/2/.1534.
the last one must be for children , because of the dates and that any of 5 siblings are the partners.

These are documented relationships, but I can find no dates for births or actual marriages, & locations.

Any suggestions please. :-S

malyon

malyon Report 11 Jun 2016 17:25

William /Massey/
Pedigree Resource File

birth:
1542 Cheshire, England

marriage:
before 1570 England

father:
Hugh /Massey/

mother:
Jane /Smythe/

spouse:
Jane /Prestland/

child:
Edward /Massey/

greyghost

greyghost Report 11 Jun 2016 17:40

An Ancestry tree has William b 1490 d 1534, but married to an Elizabeth with a daughter Margaret 1513-1561. Margaret married Ralph Bressey 1535. That line is then followed.
Another tree has Margaret b1514, another has William b 1484

they all seem to have followed the same direction.

"The Masseys of Denfield had their principal seat at Moss Hall in the parish of Audlem, Cheshire, and were neighbors of the Bresseys of Bulkley"

Yet another has
John Massey b c 1429, married Margaret Larton 1431-1459

William b 1446 Shevington, Cheshire d 1535 Coddington, Cheshire
marr Alice Woodnett (1448-1509) in both 1479 and 1488

the tree shows only John Massey (1465-1485) born to Wm and Alice - so born well before either marriage!!
Alice is shown as previously married to a Henry Coult.
Her parents John Woodnett Woodnote and Margaret (Woodnett)

The tree goes no further back.

Margaret Larton is said to be born 1431 Broxton, Cheshire and married there in 1447 dying 29.9.1459 Broxton. No parents recorded

John and Margaret had William 1446-1535, John 1450-? and Edward of Larton 1455-1515

greyghost

greyghost Report 11 Jun 2016 17:57

Looking at a Hugh Massey, many trees have b 1506 Cheshire, died 1563.

Parents Thomas (1478-1528) and Joan Beswick (1480-1520) who married 1498

Married Jane Smythe (1520-1550) in 1541 Cheshire

Child - William Massey b 1542 Nantwich
who married Jane Prestland (1546-1607) at Nantwich Mercer in 1567

Their children Edward Massey (1570-1617) and Hugh de Mascy(1579 - ?)

this tree would appear to go back to a birth in the year 915 in Picardie, France !!!! But is one of over 1000 trees with Hugh in....

margaret

margaret Report 11 Jun 2016 18:59

I have taken my tree from the visitation if Heralds in Cheshire. Where families had to provide evidence of their right to armorial status it seems.
They are descended from Oliver Massey who was a twig off the Tatton branch.

I have seen a couple of trees on sites , but have only taken on board those that state Denfield. As there a dozens of massey families in the area ,all with the same Christian names too , so not much help there.

Added to which they were all marrying into the same families , which I guess is obvious given the travelling difficulties of those times, Cheshire roads being a bog for most of the year.

The main house is still standing at Moss Hall, Audlem, a lovely black and white Cheshire timber front . They had property there and Wrenbury as well as Denfield as shown in various leases and rents.

I shall check out you suggestions , and see if I can make a time line that works

Thank you

margaret

margaret Report 12 Jun 2016 08:54

This is the list of descendants I have, of course. I am not sure this is a straight father to son or grandson line. Without baptism registrations i am not sure how one could check that out? These are all of Denfield Hall

marriages-
William Massey & Margery Leigh of Tatton Hall.

Oliver Massey 3rd son and ? c 1310?--- Of Denfield Hall, Rostherne.--and ?
John Massey and ????
William Massey and Alice Booth, dtg of Sir John Booth
Hugh Massey and Jane Smyth ( HM died before his father ) m settlement 1526
William Massey and Jane Prestlande m 1534 m settlement-- but how old?
Hugh Massey and Elizabeth Whitney
William Massey (b.1600) & Dorothy Cotton
George Massey (b.1630) & Bridget Pershall

Of course these may not be the first or last marriages for any of them.

Pleased to hear comments....and suggestions. :-)