Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Last name Pescuare/Pescueare

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jun 2016 15:55

Hi
Not sure if I've posted in the right place but has anybody ever come across the last name Pescuare/Pescueare.
I think it's a name way back in my family tree. Can't find any reference to it except for 1 marriage in the 1500s.
Grateful for any info.
Many thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jun 2016 16:20

Unless you've see the original document, you may have to consider a wrong transcription has occurred.

There were few 'fixed' ways for spellings for centuries. As one poster likes to say, even Shakespeare is inconsistent in spelling his own name.

Try pronouncing it and think of other phonetically possible spellings. If the 'line' continued, the name could have evolved into something more recognisable.

One other thing to consider - might the person have been non-anglosaxon?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 27 Jun 2016 17:09

I have just looked on World Family Names and they could find no trace of it.

Is it in Latin? If so, were the family fishermen, or similar?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Jun 2016 17:57

Where was the Marriage 1500s?....

Chris :)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jun 2016 18:31

I searched "all collections", on Ancestry, for the surname Pescuare, and it brought up records for the following "similar" names - though none as far back as 1500's. Many of them will be Anglicised (or Americanised) versions or the original names.:

Pasker (from Ireland, and then Quebec)
Pasquier (France & Quebec)
Pascar (born Russia, lived in Canada)
Pascara (Italy, then USA)
Pascari (Romania, then USA)
Pascaris (Greece, then USA)
Puskaric (Austria)

And many others.

Three people travelled from Liverpool to Canada, separately, during 1900-01, named Pasquare, Pasquaro, and Pasquary.
That's pretty close to your names.
One is stated to be Italian, one belonged to Kosenco (wherever that is! A spelling variation in itself, probably. Sounds Russian), and one from Seneschia (possibly Senerchia, Spain ??)

A couple named Peskari, both born Hungary, travelled to Canada, via Belgium, in 1921.

Sorry, not really any help!

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jun 2016 20:37

Hi Andysmum, Chris Ho and ArgyllGran
Hope you all see this reply as I've not done this before. Thank you all very much for helping.
The marriage was in Norwich in 1565. Johane Pescueare married a Robert Daynes. Daynes is one of my family tree names with many spelling variations some being Daynes, Dayns, Daines, Deines, Deins, Dayan, Dains and so on! My dad always said that "the family didn't come from here" (meaning the UK) but wouldn't elaborate. Having recently had a male relative take a paternal YDNA test I've found that there are more in percentage DNA matches from the Middle East, Portugal, Spain, France, Germany etc than from the UK. I also have both Sephardic and Ashkenazi Jewish matches so I think my dad was right!
Sorry to be long winded but I'm inclined to think now that the name Pescueare is probably a variation of something else as you've suggested. Funnily enough I also have the name Fisher/Fischer and Pescueare reminds me of pecheur the French word for fisherman!
Thank you all again. I will keep looking. You never know I may find out more!

malyon

malyon Report 27 Jun 2016 20:54

sounds a bit like a Spanish name this is the nearest sounding name in spain Pesquera

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Jun 2016 21:39

(have you seen anything from Parish Register to check?)

England, Boyd's marriage indexes, 1538-1850 Transcription (Find My Past)

First name(s) Robert
Last name Dains
Marriage year 1565
Place Norwich St Mary Coslany
County Norfolk

England Marriages 1538-1973 Transcription (Find My Past)

First name(s) Johane
Last name Pascueare
Marriage year 1565
Marriage date 07 Aug 1565
Marriage place Norwich
Spouse's first name(s) Robert
Spouse's last name Daynes
County Norfolk

(nothing seems to be on below)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/

First year of records: 1683
Last year of records: 1928

(probably why for coverage, St Mary at Coslany of Norwich within Norfolk )

http://www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk/

(if they can help with coverage)

edits (perhaps related to 'Strangers Community', below from google search)

http://www.heritagecity.org/research-centre/social-innovation/the-strangers.htm

("Stranger" community, who were so important to the Norwich)

http://www.culture24.org.uk/places-to-go/east-of-england/norwich/tra24367

https://one-name.org/index_P.html

(Surnames registered with
the Guild of One-Name Studies)

(not seeing on Goons above, either!)

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jun 2016 23:00

Many thanks Chris and Malyon
I've found the number for Norwich Record Office so will ring them tomorrow and see if they can help.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2016 00:36

I note that FMP and ancestry are carrying the same record, and the origin appears to be from Family Search, the Mormon site .... it does seem to be a transcription from a Parish Register, but it might be worth trying to trace down how it got onto FamilySearch

AnneRachel

AnneRachel Report 28 Jun 2016 02:20

Family Search have images on-line of Norfolk parish registers. You can browse through the pages to see the images. I just checked Norwich St Mary Coslany, the year 1565 is on page 6 of 55 in BMB1557-1653. But it is so faint and blurry I doubt that anyone could transcribe with certainty.

CITATION
"England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12405-75931-39?cc=1416598 : 25 June 2014), Norwich St Mary Coslany > Baptisms, Marriages, Burials > 1557-1653 > image 6 of 55; Record Office, Norwich.

Anne

Chris Ho :) Report 28 Jun 2016 06:14

Yes, not easy to see!...

Details Parish registers of St Mary Coslany, Norwich: Baptisms, 1557-1653, marriages, 1557-1661, burials, 1557-1652. late 19th century-early 20th century BOL 4/71,

(above from, NROCAT, the Norfolk Record Office online catalogue, holdings)

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jun 2016 22:15

Many thanks