Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Registrations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 1 Aug 2016 21:28

Since I've spent a long time trying to find a birth registration for a child that was subsequently adopted and been unable to locate it; have come to the conclusion that there is a possibility that it was not registered correctly.

Did it happen often that an illegitimate child born at the end of the WW1 might not be registered in the proper manner i.e. by another woman?

Am not putting up details but now just curious as to whether these things happened?

Many thanks :-)

patchem

patchem Report 1 Aug 2016 21:35

Yes.
e.g.
http://www.devonfhs.org.uk/masterclass-finding-birth-certificates.pdf

lavender

lavender Report 1 Aug 2016 21:39

Thank You ! X

:-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Aug 2016 10:37

have you searched not giving an area?

lots of folks were not in their home area during the war many had relocated north from the southern areas of the uk, some too may have joined up or joined the land army so wouldnt be in their home area

for instance i have the incidence of a London mum having two kids in the midlands during ww2 because she had relocated from London

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 3 Aug 2016 21:05

have you searched using the adopted name as a middle name? I know of one case where the child was registered in her birth mother,s name and the adopted name added afterwards as a middle name. Adoption just after WW1 was informal and there may be some form of solicitor's agreement or no formal records at all.