Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problems with searching?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CasCas

CasCas Report 1 Aug 2016 21:48

Hi is anyone else experiencing problems with searching? When I put a name in to search for a birth it's coming up No Matches. So I remove the years and still shows No Matches. I've even tried searching my own birth and it says no matches??

This has been happening to me a lot recently. Can anyone suggest what going wrong?

I've been using Genes Reunited for 10yrs so I do (usually) know what I'm doing.

Very frustrating

Thanks
Cassie :-S

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Aug 2016 22:01

Cassie, other people have been saying they've had trouble with various things on GR recently.

Hopefully, it's just a temporary glitch, and will be OK soon.

Try asking:
[email protected]

CasCas

CasCas Report 1 Aug 2016 22:04

Thanks ArgyllGran. Wasn't sure if my computer had a fault.

Kense

Kense Report 2 Aug 2016 06:33

The advanced search hasn't worked for about a year and a half now so don't expect a quick solution to any problem.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1350086

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Aug 2016 01:00

why use GR for births when they are free on freebmd???

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Aug 2016 11:21

Also be aware that GR will only show births for England & Wales.

(As will FreeBMD.)

However, as you're not a new user of GR I'm sure you know that.

Whether or not your present difficulty is temporary or not remains to be seen.
We don't have a lot of faith in GR sorting things that go wrong, unfortunately.

CasCas

CasCas Report 4 Aug 2016 22:01

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems to be an internittent problem but at the moment (touch wood) it seems ok again.

Regarding freebmd I thought that was older records? I was searching fairly recent births so I dont think they are on freebmd.?

Thanks
Cassie

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Aug 2016 22:24

Freebmd has records from July 1 1837 to approximately 1975.

Ancestry has those records plus up to approximately 2005/2006

GRO stated that they were not releasing records for digitising after 2006.

There is a site that purports to provide records to the current day, but all the records that anyone on here has checked have been taken from obituaries, gravestones etc, NOT from GRO, so they are not official records.

GenesReunited accesses the bmds from FindMyPast, GR does not have its own records, they are all accessed from other sites.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Aug 2016 22:38

On the other hand, for anyone looking for Scottish records, ScotlandsPeople has births, marriages, and deaths, to 2014 at the moment (next year it will be to 2015, and so on).

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Aug 2016 12:11

FreeBMD is almost complete for births thru 1976q1 with just 4 incomplete quarters, viz 1963q2, 1964q3, 1964q4, 1966q4.

FreeBMD is almost complete for marrs thru 1976q2 with just 9 incomplete quarters, viz 1964q1, 1965q3, 1965q4, 1966q3, 1966q4, 1969q2, 1969q3, 1969q4, .1971q4.

FreeBMD is complete for deaths thru 1974q2.

FreeBMD only intends to transcribe the printed index, which ended in 1983q4.

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Aug 2016 12:54

The GRO is not the only place you can buy official BMD certs - one can also buy them from the local offices, and some have their indexes online - see http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd

For Sylvia, here's some Manchester area index records post-2007:

Cheshire Birth indexes for the years: 2013
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
ATHERTON Lucy Jill Tameside Tameside MARSDEN TAM/1A018/89

Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 2013
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
ASHTON Dawn Elizabeth SELBY Kiel Alan Ashton-under-Lyne, Albion United Reformed Church (Stamford Street) Tameside AP12/21/93

Cheshire Death indexes for the years: 2014
Surname Forename(s) Age or Year of Birth Sub-District Registers At Reference
ANDERTON Geoffrey J - Tameside Tameside TAM/1D010/189

CasCas

CasCas Report 10 Aug 2016 21:10

Thank-you everyone for the useful info. I hadn't realised there was more current info available out there.

Many thanks!! :-D