Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help finding lost tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron

Ron Report 4 Aug 2016 16:32

I have been corresponding through either this site or Facebook with a guy who had a connection with my family. (I think that the actual connection was with his wife's side.) . Terry was not a well person at all and I am very sorry to say that I fear the worst. What is also extremely sad is that Terry spent many hundreds of hours researching his family tree and all of that research has now gone to waste I fear. He even went out to Australia a few years back and was researching that side of the family whilst he was out there.

I have a strong recollection that, some time ago, I was on this site and I was able to access the family tree that he posted. Despite my best efforts now I can't work out how to access it again. Can anyone help me out please? It makes me very sad to think that all of that time and effort was in vain.

I hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Regards,

Ron.

malyon

malyon Report 4 Aug 2016 16:39

have you looked for him in my threads or search all members trees

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Aug 2016 16:40

Welcome to the boards, Ron.

Do you have your own tree on GR? If so, click on "View other trees" under your name at the top of the tree page. It may be that you had access because Terry had given you permission to view his tree.

Alternatively, look for his name, or other relative who would be on his tree, under "Search all members trees" (under "Search" at the top of this page).
Someone else who has him in their tree may have knowledge of, or access to, Terry's tree.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Aug 2016 16:42

As this is your first post, Ron, don't bother looking at "My threads" - you haven't added to any other threads.

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Aug 2016 17:02

Also do check around on the other possible sites, eg Ancestry in case he had a public tree there that is still accessible. It is always worth doing a Google search for names from the tree in case Terry set up a page for his research.

Ron

Ron Report 5 Aug 2016 15:48

Thanks to everyone for all of your help. I am delighted to say that I have now found it! There are over 2,400 entries on this tree and it would be criminal to lose it completely. There are only a relatively small number of my ancestors on there but it has already succeeded in filling in some blanks (and causing a few more issues!).

I have been looking to see if there is a way of downloading the entire tree but it looks (to me) as though that's not possible. If anyone does know how to do it please let me know.

Thanks again, all, for your help.

Regards,

Ron. :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Aug 2016 17:06

Unfortunately, a gedcom can only be downloaded and sent to you by the tree owner ( or someone who has access to his log-in details).

As you suspect that he is no longer able to access his account, the only option is to manually copy it.

Ron

Ron Report 5 Aug 2016 19:45

Thanks for the information. If you don't mind, with over 2,400 entries in the particular family tree I think that I might pass on copying it off manually! :-)