Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry & FTM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 18 Aug 2016 15:57

http://www.tamurajones.net/SoftwareMacKievFamilyTreeMaker2014.xhtml

Has anyone mentioned this before ?

I think MacKiev were the original owners of FTM and Ancestry bought it off them but not sure about that?

They appear to be selling an updated version of FTM 2014 and offering current users a free update {you have to sign up}and providing you keep your Ancestry sub up the Sync funstion will continue

Edit
I forgot to add that the Sync using Ancestry will only work until 31st December 2016 and that they are "working on a replacment from 1st January 2017!

The QA page is quite useful
Can someone else have a look and see what they think -I have not read anything anywhere ?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Aug 2016 16:41

I use FTM but am not a member of Ancestry. I seem to remember that when Ancestry announced it was no longer syncing with FTM, there was a thread about it and it was mentioned that RootsMagic would be taking over.

Are RootsMagic anything to do with MacKiev?

I'm sure someone will know the answer.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Aug 2016 16:53

This is the original thread.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1356589

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Aug 2016 18:18

It doesn't sound as if RootsMagic are anything to do with MacKiev:

https://blog.eogn.com/2016/02/02/who-is-the-software-mackiev-company/

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 19 Aug 2016 10:08

No - different companies - Mackiev has apparently always made FTM for Apple.

I posted the question on the Common Room thread of "rootschat" as well and there is a very good reply which sums the article up very clearly - I want to continue with FTM if possible so will wait and see what develops

Pam

Pam Report 20 Aug 2016 09:43

My FTM 10 has stopped working trapping 10+ years work on trees in it.
I have backed up to discs and a hard drive.

If I purchase the new FTM 14 will it be easy to transfer my trees from either discs or hard drive?

Kense

Kense Report 20 Aug 2016 19:46

Yes PAM FTM2014 can import from version 5 onwards.

Pam

Pam Report 21 Aug 2016 15:47

Thank you, maybe that is what I will do in order to retrieve my trees.