Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pre 1800 records- burials in Liverpool. Lancashire

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 21 Aug 2016 23:17

There is a supra will listed for a David Poole , merchant of Liverpool, dated 1724.

I know that some years earlier he had come from Preston where he was a sugar merchant . Also it seems a keen Presbyterian....or non conformist.

There are some property 'deals' made with others including one in My Lords Street ,Liverpool. leased from The Molyneux family. where he later gains permission to change his house to a meeting house with a nominated preacher and teaching rooms..

Where is he likely to have been buried in 1723/34 in Liverpool? And where would such records be?

thank you

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 22 Aug 2016 08:06

Have you tried Archives relating, to see what they hold?

Chris :)

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-record-office/enquiries-and-research.aspx

http://archives.cheshire.gov.uk/home.aspx

http://archivecat.lancashire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=DDCL%2f1%2f282&pos=3

(reference for 'Deals' article, so possibly Son of below)

Baptism
County Lancashire
Place Liverpool
Church name Our Lady and St Nicholas
Register type Unspecified
Baptism date 14 Oct 1703
Birth date 29 Sep 1703
Person forename David
Person sex M
Person abode Moore Street
Father forename Josiah
Father surname POOLE
Father occupation Gen

http://www.freereg.org.uk/

malyon

malyon Report 22 Aug 2016 11:19

could this be david's son

David Poole

mentioned in the record of James

Name David Poole
Gender Male
Wife Anne Poole
Son James

Name James
Gender Male
Burial Date 18 Oct 1835
Burial Place Christ-Church, Hulme (Near Manchester), Lancashire, England (Church Record)
Father's Name David Poole
Mother's Name Anne Poole

margaret

margaret Report 22 Aug 2016 12:01

Don't think so.
He certainly had 3 or4 children to his wife in Preston ,her name bring Elizabeth Taylor .one of their daughters is called Silence , never found her again. Two sons born there two , Josiah and Samuel mentioned on a lease in Liverpool .

There was a an intended marriage bond to Elizabeth Massie at Manchester cathedral which never took place. So he may well have married again in Liverpool at some point,

The property he owned was later ,I believe, converted ,with permission , to a meeting house and place of prayer, and instruction ,with an appointed minister. So I should have expected his burial in Liverpool .
However if he was a Presbyterian/non conformists they may have an undocumented burial ground there in 1724.???

margaret

margaret Report 22 Aug 2016 13:16

Don't think so.
He certainly had 3 or4 children to his wife in Preston ,her name bring Elizabeth Taylor .one of their daughters is called Silence , never found her again. Two sons born there two , Josiah and Samuel mentioned on a lease in Liverpool .

There was a an intended marriage bond to Elizabeth Massie at Manchester cathedral which never took place. So he may well have married again in Liverpool at some point,

The property he owned was later ,I believe, converted ,with permission , to a meeting house and place of prayer, and instruction ,with an appointed minister. So I should have expected his burial in Liverpool .
However if he was a Presbyterian/non conformists they may have an undocumented burial ground there in 1724.???

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 14:30

Name James Poole
Gender Male
Christening Date 28 Aug 1706
Christening Place Saint Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Birth Date 12 Aug 1706
Birthplace Saint Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Father's Name Josiah Poole

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 14:31

Name Jane Poole
Gender Female
Christening Date 09 Mar 1712
Christening Place Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Birth Date 18 Feb 1712

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 14:32

Name Josiah Poole
Gender Male
Christening Date 30 Apr 1714
Birth Date 13 Apr 1714

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 14:32

Name Carall Poole
Gender Male
Christening Date 02 Jul 1722

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 14:33

Name David Poole
Gender Male
Christening Date 14 Oct 1703
Christening Place ST NICHOLAS,LIVERPOOL,LANCASHIRE,ENGLAND
Birth Date 29 Sep 1703

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 14:39

just in case it proves useful some time

Baptism: 25 May 1851 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
John Poole - [Child] of William Poole & Elizabeth
Born: 23 Feb 1851
Abode: Worfield St.
Baptised by: A. J. Tomlin Curate
Register: Baptisms 1851 from the Bishop's Transcripts, Page 4, Entry 2353
Source: LDS Film 1068892

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 14:52

1715 – Glass manufactory – Josiah Poole – Argyle St/Paradise St

1545 – Sir William Molyneux and his son Richard had acquired jointly the fee-farm of the borough

1710 – Molyneuxs leave Sefton Hall and go to Croxteth Hall

18th Century | Liverpool1207
https://liverpool1207blog.wordpress.com/history-timelines/18th-century
18th Century. Liverpool timeline ... Josiah Poole – Argyle St/Paradise St; ... 1759 – French fleet of privateers blockade Liverpool – 14 guns in St Nicholas ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 14:57

Henry Poole of Thorne (a 1650)
m. (04.06.1618) Thomasine Stringer
A. Samuel Poole of Thorne, Leeds & Knottingley (bpt 19.06.1621, a 1675, Captain)
m1. Silence Saxton (d 16.06.1649, dau of Rev. Peter Saxton of Edlington & Leeds)
i. David Poole of Liverpool & Knottingley (d before 06.05.1724)
m1. either Mary (widow of _ Massey) or Elizabeth Massey
a. Samuel Poole of Knottingley (dsp before 1703)
b. Josiah Poole of Liverpool & West Chester (Lancashire), later in Wigan (a 09.1742)
m. (c1703) Elizabeth Lydiate (dau of James Lydiate of Lydiate (son of Thomas) by Jane)
(1) David Poole of Youngsbury, Hertfordshire (d 29.10.1762, Prime Serjeant-at-Law of Lincoln's Inn)
m. Kane Bird (b c1715, d 15.10.1793, dau/coheir of John Bird of Youngsbury)
(A) David Poole of Pontefract then York (a 1827) had issue
m1. (sp) Sarah Mary Machin (d 07.03.1803, dau of William Machin of Thornbury)
m2. Eleanor Hartley (a 1809, dau of William Hartley of Banbury)
(B) Penelope Poole
m. Matthew Martin of Poet's Corner, Westminster

Stirnet
www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/pp/pole08.php
David Poole of Liverpool & Knottingley (d before 06.05.1724) ... Samuel Poole of Knottingley (dsp before 1703) b. Josiah Poole of Liverpool & West Chester …

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 15:09

Poole Christenings in Lancashire - BillCarney.com

www.billcarney.com/brickmasons/genealogy/poole/christenings...

We've Moved! Please visit my new ... David POOLE : Source: FHL Number 1068887: Dates: ... Oct 1703: Recorded in: Saint Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 15:12

David Poole incurred a fine at Preston church for unlawfully allowing Michael Briscough a clerk to preach c1672.

He turns up again in 1684/85 alongside his son Samuel, a child, and William Massie when the take a lease of of land for about 50 (3 Lives)years, in My Lords Street Liverpool with permission to build, 150 yards front , with 3 gates for carts. This is leased from Caryll, Viscount Molyneux, and the Hon william Molyneux,

no record of any almshouses in existence before 1684, when twelve were erected by David Poole in Dale Street...David Poole was one of the high bailiffs in 1685."

From the statement in the 1692 will, David Poole must have had a couple of sons, and was perhaps the father in law to William Massie, being the father of his wife Barbara Poole, One of the signatures to the will is a Raph Poole.
As = Hassall Wibunbury, Richard Hassall, Raph Poole, Theodosia Hobson.

Elizabeth Massie may have gone to Manchester to marry this David Poole, Merchant of Liverpool.in Feb 1679, but somehow objections were raised, although she was born in 1655, so over age.
The bondsman being Henri Rycroft and John Wignall

bits above taken from this site

Liverpool & South West Lancs Genealogy • View forum ...

https://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2

Liverpool & South West Lancs Genealogy ... merchants in Liverpool c 1680- David Poole ect... Margaret. 10. 162. Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:53 pm. Blue70. Esther Brookfield ...

margaret

margaret Report 23 Aug 2016 18:22

Yes I had that information on the deals arranged for the lease of the land., Owned by the Molyenuex family. And his time at the church in Preston,w here he was fined
He also built the first alms houses in Liverpool.

I am looking into the lives of the Masseys ( Massie) at Denfield. William married firstly Barbara Poole at Runcorn ,but I have no idea where she was from. I don't know either what her relationship was with David Poole, I had thought they they might be brother and sister. If Elizabeth Massie was preparing to marry David Poole , in Manchester , by then a widower with small children , I thought they were all about the same age or generation.
There was obviously family and business arrangements , between William Massie and David Poole ,but I am not clear as to what that covered.

But that still dosnt show where the Poole's originated, was it Preston ? Or Liverpool or Cheshire somewhere? If they were already Presbyterian ,they might be baptised in other than the parish church? So I am not sure what records there are in this period.

margaret

margaret Report 23 Aug 2016 18:25

Yes I had that information on the deals arranged for the lease of the land., Owned by the Molyenuex family. And his time at the church in Preston,w here he was fined
He also built the first alms houses in Liverpool.

I am looking into the lives of the Masseys ( Massie) at Denfield. William married firstly Barbara Poole at Runcorn ,but I have no idea where she was from. I don't know either what her relationship was with David Poole, I had thought they they might be brother and sister. If Elizabeth Massie was preparing to marry David Poole , in Manchester , by then a widower with small children , I thought they were all about the same age or generation.
There was obviously family and business arrangements , between William Massie and David Poole ,but I am not clear as to what that covered.

But that still dosnt show where the Poole's originated, was it Preston ? Or Liverpool or Cheshire somewhere? If they were already Presbyterian ,they might be baptised in other than the parish church? So I am not sure what records there are in this period.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 20:52

Name Will. Massey
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 02 Oct 1667
Event Place All Saints, Runcorn, Cheshire, England
Gender Male
Spouse's Name Barara Poole

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Aug 2016 20:53

?????????

Name Barbara Poole
Gender Female
Christening Date 1640
Christening Place GREAT BUDWORTH, CHESHIRE, ENGLAND
Father's Name Johis Poole

margaret

margaret Report 23 Aug 2016 21:14

Yes I looked at that Barbara poole ,in fact there are two in the GT Budworth register's, but no trace of David Poole there .

And how did she get to Runcorn as her home? Parish. I suppose I need to plot out a family tree for the Poole's now!

:-(