Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing children

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Aug 2016 18:24

Does anyone know if it is possible to search for all the children of a birth mother?

greyghost

greyghost Report 24 Aug 2016 19:03

What time scale are you looking at Dawn, records vary. And what country are you looking in?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Aug 2016 19:48

It could be done ..................... but you'd be searchign through hundreds or thousands of records unless the mother's surname is VERY uncommon!

Mother's maiden name is shown in the index of births recorded by GRO for England and Wales from July 1911.

GRO index records from July 1 1837 to ca 1975/6 are available free on the freebmd site

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

GRO index records from July 1 1837 to ca 2005/6 are available on ancestry, a subscription site.

GRO has not release any bmd index records for digitisation to any site after 2006.

Any records that you see online after 2006 have been accessed from sources such as obituaries, birth announcements, etc

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 Aug 2016 11:11

Welcome to the Community boards Dawn.

(I'll let Dawn know how to find her replies) :-)

Ken2

Ken2 Report 25 Aug 2016 12:01

With 'historical records' I check fro baptisms on https://familysearch.org/search

In the search I leave the Firstname field blank, add the surname, enter place - often I simply put the county I expect them to have been born in, the dates children would have been expected to have been born between, and finally the father's and mother's first names.

Sometimes you get results, sometimes you don't. Just hope you are not looking for children of John and Mary SMITH!

Good luck

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Aug 2016 16:28

Am looking for an older half sister born 1961-64?
She was adopted out before I was born.
Thanks to everyone.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Aug 2016 18:11

You can narrow down the search years to 1961-64 on either freebmd or Ancestry.
If you know roughly where she might have been born (even which county), then you can narrow it down further by that.
Then factor in her mother's surname.

Leave the child's name boxes blank. (I'm assuming you don't know her name?)
If she would have had the same surname as her mother, then you can put that in.

Then, unless the surname is something very common, such as Smith (as has been said), you might be able to pinpoint the right birth.

(If you were born in Grimsby, than I can see that she wasn't also born there, assuming your surnames would have been the same.)

EDIT:
Actually, there were a surprising number of births in those years with that surname for both child and mother, in England/Wales, so not so easy to pick the right one, unless you know where she might have been born

EDIT again:

PM sent with a possible birth suggestion.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Aug 2016 22:59

Some birth regs might have a /S after the page number,
That normally means the child was adopted.
However, it could be as simple as the birth father 'adopting' his biological child after he had married the mother.