Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Medal Mystery (Fireman Service?)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 10 Sep 2016 11:12

We have an old picture of my wife's great grand father John William Slim (b 12/9/1856 d 29/8/1931) and his wife Sarah Anne Slim (Hadley) in their back garden in ~1920s, he is proudly displaying a single circular medal (unable to distinguish ribbon due to size of photograph. On his marriage certificate it states Fireman (13/4/1884) but on census records he was also recorded as a Stoker at a Chemical works in Oldbury/West Bromwich a couple of times (~ 1901/1911). As his birth was 160 years ago in 2 days time I wonder if any of you could please help me discover evidence if his medal could have been for Fireman's Service. I don't believe it could be for WW1 active service due too his age, but not sure if WW1 home service may have been recognised and where this detail would be recorded. As my wife's departed brother worked at Albright & Wilsons in the 1980s-early 2000s the remaining Chemical Works in Oldbury and he also had a duel role of toolmaker & fireman (putting them out). I hope it would be for Fireman's long service and share any evidence with family in 2 days time.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 10 Sep 2016 15:10

Ann- not sure what links you're posting, they're not active- neither of them seem complete?

I had a feeling that fireman and stoker were the same occupation -and not necessarily a firefighter as we think of them today, but someone who kept the furnace going. If correct it's unlikely he'd be given a medal for the job.

Is it possible, given the year the photo was taken, that they are proudly displaying their son's WW1 medal?

greyghost

greyghost Report 10 Sep 2016 15:19

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
61 Ashes Road Langley Birmingham, Oldbury, Staffordshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place
John William Slim Head Married Male Stoker 54 1857 Langley Green Worcestershire
Sarah Ann Slim Wife Married Female - 44 1867 Causeway Green Worcestershire
John William Slim Son Married Male Mechanicl Fitter 22 1889 Causeway Green Worcestershire
Arthur Slim Son Single Male Machinist Placer 20 1891 Causeway Green Worcestershire
Albert Slim Son Single Male Brake Fitter And Vice Hand 18 1893 Causeway Green Worcestershire
Annie Slim Daughter Single Female - 16 1895 Causeway Green Worcestershire

greyghost

greyghost Report 10 Sep 2016 15:26

Slim Household (6 People)
In case you don't have the 1939 register for the family. They haven't moved far from the 1911 address

John W seems to have passed down the generations as a name

65 Ashes Road , Oldbury M.B., Worcestershire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
John W Slim 26 Sep 1888 Male Fitter Maintenance Work Heavy Chemical Factory Married 243 1
Louie (Louisa) Slim 25 Feb 1890 Female Unpaid Domestic Dut Married 243 2
Ethel E Bibb (Slim) 01 Aug 1914 Female Capstan Lathe Hand Incapacitated 7 Yrs Single 243 3
Annie Turton (Finton,Slim) 24 Jan 1916 Female Electric Spot Welder Single 243 4
John W Slim 22 Dec 1917 Male Learner Driver-Drop Forge Trade-Heavy Worker Single 243 5
Ernest Slim 04 Mar 1922 Male Fitters Apprentice-Heavy Chemic Factory Single 243 7

There is also a closed record listed between John W and Ernest

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Sep 2016 16:04

I tend to agree with AustinQ that if he was at one time recorded as a Stoker, then Fireman could easily be the same occupation. There were firemen/stokers on the railways as well as in foundries and chemical works.

Could you perhaps scan the photo and upload it to your "keepsafe" and make the image public so we could have a look at it?

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Sep 2016 16:17

Are you certain about the marriage of John W. and Sarah?

It's just that there is this marriage:-

First name(s) SARAH A
Last name HADLEY
Marriage quarter 2
Marriage year 1912
Registration month -
MarriageFinderâ„¢ SARAH A HADLEY married one of these people
>>>>>>>>>>>>WILLIAM H SLIM<<<<<<<<<<<<<<, WILLIAM H INSTON, FLORENCE CHERRY
Spouse's last name INSTON
District WEST BROMWICH
District number -
County Staffordshire
Country England
Volume 6B
Page 1615

and also this marriage:-

First name(s) JOHN W
Last name SLIM
Marriage quarter 3
Marriage year 1911
Registration month -
MarriageFinderâ„¢ JOHN W SLIM married one of these people
ANNIE K SIMPSON, AGNES POWELL
District KINGS NORTON
District number -
County Worcestershire
Country England
Volume 6C
Page 954

John W. Slim and Sarah Ann Hadley don't seem to have married each other.

Kath. x

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 10 Sep 2016 17:20

Kathleen- this is the marriage (on the 1911 census it states, married 27 years):

England & Wales marriages 1837-2008 Transcription

First name(s) SARAH
Last name HADLEY
Marriage quarter 2
Marriage year 1884
MarriageFinderâ„¢ SARAH HADLEY married one of these people
***JOHN WILLIAM SLIM***, JOHN JABEZ THOMPSON
District STOURBRIDGE
County Worcestershire
Volume 6C Page 239

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Sep 2016 18:12

Thanks AustinQ. My mistake. I searched on Sarah *Ann* Hadley and Slim and got the result I posted.

Kath. x

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 11 Sep 2016 09:23

I have updated the photography to my Keepsafe and is available for all to view. The original photography was only approximately 2 by 3 inches square. So scanning and zooming I cannot distinguish the ribbon of the medal. The back drop is intriguing with the letter E on possible rail goods wagons. His watch chain and shining shoes suggest they were going to or celebrating an event. As service men tended to get 3 medals for WW1 service, I struggle to think why would he wear only one, in honour of a son. Thomas born 1885 is the only son I cannot confirm may have passed away in WW1 but Slim as a surname was far more common than I expected and his other sons John, Albert & Arthur I believe they passed away in the 60s & 70s. Thank you for the replies to date, as his wedding certificate says Fireman you visualise a heroic profession but its more likely the worker skill. 2 of his sons also have professions related to Railway Train Manufacture as well.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Sep 2016 10:33

AndyTG

You need to give a link to the keepsafe page so we can see the photo. Open the photo in your keepsafe and copy whatever comes up on the top browser bar.

Kath. x

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 11 Sep 2016 15:29

OK, I might have read your original post wrongly- I thought it was a photo taken in their back yard with John displaying the medal- but now from your last post there is mention of rail wagons and of John wearing the medal?

AndyTG

AndyTG Report 11 Sep 2016 22:24

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/40606495

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Sep 2016 00:00

I've had a look at the photo but unfortunately I can't make out the medal at all. If my son was here he would know how to copy it and enlarge it but he's just gone abroad for 10 days so is no help right now.

Do you know the address where the photo was taken? Did their garden back onto a railway? I'm not even sure what the background is showing (apart from the letter "E" on something.

Kath. x