Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Delete member from my tree

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

joysie4

joysie4 Report 12 Sep 2016 10:25

I see a few distant realtions have my tree how can I stop them

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Sep 2016 11:01

Do you mean that they've included your relations on their trees?

Unless they've added the names of living people without their permission, there's not a lot you can do. Many people like to go as far back as they can on their blood line, then follow siblings etc back down to more modern times. It might be annoying, but perfectly acceptable.

If a living relative has been included, you should ask the tree owner to remove the name. GR will [ eventually] remove the name if they don't comply.

[email protected]

joysie4

joysie4 Report 12 Sep 2016 11:22

Thank you they must have done as why should they need to know more about them
I will have to view their trees now

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Sep 2016 11:35

From their point of view, your relative might have been a 'married in'. You do also need to consider that some people enjoy making 'One Name Studies' or research all the people in a certain location.

FH is an enjoyable hobby. There's no really hard and fast rule about who should be included in a tree and who should not.

Just ask them why they are interested. Many of us who've been persuing this hobby for a while don't allow access to our trees. We'll just supply written data about the relative in question.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Sep 2016 20:35

For what it is worth ..............

NEVER share your tree with anyone. That is the usual way in which you find your relations appearing in someone else's tree without any apparent connection.

You may find that there is a connection where someone form your tree married in to theirs ................. and someone people consider that sufficient to add the whole of the other tree.

We call them "name collectors".

joysie4

joysie4 Report 12 Sep 2016 20:50

Its to late now as I let them see my tree years ago

but they wont have my tree which ive updated now will they

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Sep 2016 21:33

Yes, if you have given them access to your tree, and haven't stopped it, they can look at it now and see the updates.

To stop access, go to your contacts list, find the person you've allowed to see your tree, and click "Stop" if there's a tick in the "Tree" column.

EDIT:
Maybe worth mentioning -
If you delete a contact, GR says that will stop all permissions as well as removing all messages to and from the contact.
That means permissions you have given to the other person.
However, I have found that if the person has given you permission to see their tree, you can still see it even after you have deleted that contact.

joysie4

joysie4 Report 12 Sep 2016 22:46

Thank you for that advice ive just gone through my contacts and deleted a few

Kense

Kense Report 13 Sep 2016 11:20

Its probably a good idea to delete permissions before deleting the contact. There are people in my shared trees list who are not in the contacts list.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Sep 2016 13:55

PM received this morning. Don't understand some of it, and have replied asking for clarification :-

What you have stated is not completely correct - for although what you say should take place the access remains in the tree dashboard. If you or your contact retains the open tree when they either withdrew their registration or removed from the contacts the tree would remain open to either side.
You will not be able to remove it for the application does not have a delete process. Additionally this would also show in the relatives - this would and does reflect in the overall tree number of persons that you have. If say you had a tree of 100 persons the relatives would be added even if you removed your tree .

ADDED:

My reply:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Are you saying that an opened tree remains open unless both parties remove access to it?
Or that, once opened, a tree is always open regardless of what cancellations are made re access?
And please can you explain this sentence? :
" If say you had a tree of 100 persons the relatives would be added even if you removed your tree . "
Thank you.

And a reply from the PM'er :-

Yes that is what i am saying - unless both ends of the contact
have been removed nothing changes.
Or if you or the contact has access the same applies the only difference is that you cannot correct it if you have deleted them from the contact listing, they will still appear in the dashboard.
It complicated - this has come about has a result of there account of how many persons indicated as being in my tree, they have been added 24 persons to my tree. i was using an example of 100 person mine being 80086 may not normally shown up. But i have a copy off site and wanted to know what there where.
The relatives are the persons from other trees and yours.
" it should only be yours "

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Sep 2016 14:30

Who's add people to the correspondents tree? After trying to do so on a tree I've access to, it just doesn't seem possible.
Could the extra people have occurred because relatives already in their tree have married each other? The system might have made copies to reflect their descendent family ie from the maternal side & the paternal one.
If the tree is the result of a gedcom upload....well, things can go a bit squiffy.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Sep 2016 18:19

ArgyllGran .......

your PM'er didn't have a name beginning with S did they?

No, I don't mean myself :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Sep 2016 18:57

Yes, he does, Sylvia.
I must admit, I still don't understand. It's not possible to add people to someone else's tree which has been shared with you, nor to edit it in any way.

Kense

Kense Report 13 Sep 2016 19:05

If among the trees that have been shared with you, there is one with zero entries, you will probably find you can add one person to that tree.

If you do you probably won't be able to delete it.

There was a thread about this a couple of months ago.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Sep 2016 19:32

This is that other thread:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1361176

EDIT:

Oh yes, I remember it now!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Sep 2016 00:45

AG

I've had contact with that member before :-D

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Sep 2016 10:52

Yes, I noticed that on the thread I mentioned above, Sylvia.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 14 Sep 2016 11:04

So glad I don't have a tree on here! Sounds super complicated :-S :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Sep 2016 14:57

It's no more complicated than other on-line sites, Austin.
The downside is when something goes awry. Technical support have other priorities viz FMP. Consequently, problems on GR are put to the back of the queue particularly if it isn't a 'quick fix'.

joysie4

joysie4 Report 14 Sep 2016 15:12

I am utterly confused

I have recently added my belated brother in laws tree to mine and noticed two people in my contacts tracing my tree I have never heard from these two people to see if they have made any progress perhaps they wanted to enlarge there tree as some do :-S