Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Population of West Yorkshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CasCas

CasCas Report 14 Sep 2016 21:06

Hi would anyone out there know how I could find out the Population of the county of WEST YORKSHIRE when it was formed in 1974?

I have tried Wikipedia but it doesn't give the population at that time.
1981 census? Could that be the closest and if so does anyone know how to find this infone?

Any info very much appreciated
Regards
Cassie

Ps I'm away at the moment with poor signal so if I do not respond I will do as soon as possible. Thankyou

:-S :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Sep 2016 22:54

The 1981 census, even if its ever made public, won't be released before 2081!

As you've probably read, West Yorkshire County Council only lasted to 31 March 1986. During that time its headquarters were at County Hall, Wakefield, then occupied by Wakefield Metropolitan District Council.

Try contacting their Archivist
http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Sep 2016 01:08

How about using Google???????

input

'population of west yorkshire in 1974'

CasCas

CasCas Report 19 Sep 2016 20:35

Thanks for the replies
I tried google before I posted on here but there was no info specific to 1974. I did manage to find a figure for the population in the 1981 census which I suppose is as near as I'll get.

Regards
Cassie :-)

Gee

Gee Report 21 Sep 2016 07:45

You might have more luck if you break your research down into 'borough' of the time which were:

Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees, Leeds, Wakefield

You could try contacting the Office for National Statistics (ONS were formed in 1996 so not around for the decade that you need) may be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

CasCas

CasCas Report 21 Sep 2016 21:12

Thanks Gins for the good advice. I'll give that a try.

Regards
Cassie :-D