Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Reg query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 3 Oct 2016 15:53

I am just wondering why a birth in WW1 years would be registered simply as Smith (Male)?

Many thanks :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Oct 2016 16:23

Perhaps they just hadn't decided on a name.

"5. No name given at birth

Some children were registered before they were named. This may give a clue to the religious affiliation of a family. Tradition in some religions meant that children weren't named until baptism. On the birth certificate, column 10 allows additional entries to be made later. As far as the indexes and indeed the certificate are concerned, the child was registered as "male" or "female" followed only by the surname. Such entries are shown at the end of the alphabetical listing and should always be looked at."

http://www.sog.org.uk/learn/help-getting-started-with-genealogy/guide-three

Potty

Potty Report 3 Oct 2016 16:55

There were 68 births recorded 1914/18 for "Smith, Male" and 73 deaths, 72 of them for infants under 1. Possibly children who died very soon after birth and were not named. So sad!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Oct 2016 17:23

Perhaps the father was away fighting and the mother did not want to decide on a name before hearing from him. You only have six weeks in which to register a birth and it may have taken longer than this for the father to be told about the birth.

Kath. x

lavender

lavender Report 3 Oct 2016 18:42

All very interesting, thank you very much. :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 3 Oct 2016 23:12

The legal requirement is that you register the birth. There is no requirement that the child ever be named. If you look at a 1914 b.cert, there is a special column (col 10) for names added after registration, but there is no requirement that the child's name be entered there after naming.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Oct 2016 09:29

Quite often .in my research , I have found such birth regs are for a baby that died soon after birth .

Have you looked for a later birth for the person you are looking for :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 4 Oct 2016 10:39

The birth and death of an un named infant was often registered on the same day.

lavender

lavender Report 4 Oct 2016 23:25

Many thanks everybody, question answered :-) :-) :-)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Oct 2016 11:29

My wife has ancestors from Dublin, late 1800's.

Those born at home were registered by a member of the family with a name. However births which took place at the Rotunda Hospital were registered by a hospital official without a name.

lavender

lavender Report 7 Oct 2016 22:28

That's interesting InspectorGreenPen.. many thanks for responding.