Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is Ancestry working

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 19 Oct 2016 11:20

I cannot get into Ancestry today. All I can get is:-

This site can’t be reached

trees.ancestry.co.uk took too long to respond.

Has anyone else had this problem.

Alan.

Potty

Potty Report 19 Oct 2016 11:44

Just logged in with no problem.

Maddie

Maddie Report 19 Oct 2016 12:10

seems ok now but wasn't earlier

Alan

Alan Report 19 Oct 2016 12:40

Working now ok.

Alan.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Oct 2016 13:45

Its been playing up today

Seems to be ok at the moment :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Oct 2016 15:39

On Monday there was a banner up saying it would be offline for most of the UK working hours on Tuesday. It was running slow yesterday evening. Any of today's difficulties might be attributed to their earlier tinkering.

Have a look on their facebook page. If other people have encountered difficulties, they might have posted there. Ancestry are usually fairly quick to reply.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Oct 2016 17:33

Seems to be off again at the moment.

I keep getting "Server not found" on Firefox, and "This page can't be displayed" on IE, though I can open all sorts of other websites.

EDIT:

Back on again (17:55 21 Oct), but it does say "We are currently undergoing maintenance"

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Oct 2016 19:44

I found this message showing on my FB home page (from the ancestry FB page) ...............

------
Ancestry

Our DNS provider has experienced a DDoS attack which has resulted in some service issues to our website, and many others. We are working as quickly as possible to resolve this issue. Please be assured that this is an availability issue only, and does not impact the confidentiality or integrity of customer data. We appreciate everyone’s patience.
------

I have NO idea what it means, except it sounds as if they are having a problem with something or other! :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Oct 2016 20:24

Someone was asking if it was a result of an attack which is reportedly spreading world wide.

http://boingboing.net/2016/10/21/major-u-s-websites-inaccessib.html

I can get on to Ancestry, but it's incredibly slow and grabbing the band width
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37728015
Massive web attacks briefly knock out top sites
All the firms are customers of a company called Dyn, which they use to help users find their sites online.
No idea if Ancestry are customers or if its a co-incidence. A statement (posted 'I hour ago', so up to 2 hours ago) on their UK facebook page states

Our DNS provider has experienced a DDoS attack which has resulted in some service issues to our website, and many others. We are working as quickly as possible to resolve this issue. Please be assured that this is an availability issue only, and does not impact the confidentiality or integrity of customer data. We appreciate everyone’s patience.