Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cemeterys

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

chaps

chaps Report 26 Oct 2016 18:24

Hi,

After many years of researching my ancesters, I find I need to find their final resting place ie where they are buried!!

Is there an easy guide to this? I have their DC's so know the area they were living in at the time of death, but don't know the local cemeterys.

for instance I am trying to fine my Nan, Jane Elizabeth Chapman, died on the 21st July 1941 and was living at 25 Stockmar Road, Hackney.

Thank you

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 26 Oct 2016 18:57

Some burial records are on websites of the Councils of the areas you are looking for.
Not sure about London, but no doubt someone on here will be able to guide you.
Jan x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Oct 2016 19:36

Other people asking similar questions have been advised that the following cemeteries might be relevant

Abney Park http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~abneypark/abneyy.html
St Thomas Square Cemetery (Registers at TNA, Kew, RG 8/41)
Victoria Park Cemetery (Registers at TNA, Kew, RG 8/42-51).

You'd need to research to see when they were last in use.

There was also a suggestion that Hackney residents had to be buried outside of the borough, sometimes miles away, as cemeteries were becoming full.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Oct 2016 20:27

You could try

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

I have had success contacting the parks and cemeteries dept of the local council giving the details from a death cert

Lots of councils will do a search ,some make a charge , some won't do any look ups as they say they don't have the manpower to give this facility

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Oct 2016 20:42

you could also try this site.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi

People are doing "inventories" of burial grounds, taking photos of graves, etc.

You never know what you are going to find!

chaps

chaps Report 26 Oct 2016 21:15

Sorry for delay in replying and thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I guess it won't be a quick search then but I have the DC's so that is a starting point and I will try all the websites you have suggested.

With regard to my Nan 1941 is not so long ago so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult.

Many thanks

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Oct 2016 21:32

The other place to look would be old newspapers ........... see if you can find an obituary. Those usually state where the burial will take place.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Oct 2016 07:56

http://www.devsys.co.uk/ap/

(Abney Park, click Basic Search, not seeing that Jane)

Chris :)

chaps

chaps Report 27 Oct 2016 09:53

Hi Chris,

I did try to find her on the Abney Park site but think they have changed the format since I last used it a few years ago.

There is some confusion with my Nan's name she was born Elizabeth but called herself Jennie but on her DC she is listed as Jane Elizabeth Chapman. So, I guess maybe a more general search maybe just surname.

Thanks for your help, i think these Threads do help to motivate when you feel like giving up.

Tony

:-) :-) :-) :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 27 Oct 2016 15:05

You could also try:

www.billiongraves.com

I recently found a rellie on there.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 29 Oct 2016 08:18

Do bear in mind that it was during WW2. My gf died 1943 and was cremated.

Not suggesting that happened in your case, but I would think that the ratio of cremations to burials would have been higher in those few years.

chaps

chaps Report 30 Oct 2016 11:51

Hi

thank you all for your input.

This is just a thought as I'm not sure how these genealogy sites obtain their data. -
If you are buried in a paupers' grave without a headstone would these burials be listed in the websites shown above ?

Many thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Oct 2016 13:29

Its a mixture of recording details on gravestones and accessing the burial (or cremation) registers.

From limited experience, Billionsofgraves tends to have only photos of headstones and their transcriptions, but it may vary from area to area.
Findagrave entries can be made by FH researchers who have found supporting evidence that their deceased relatives are buried in a particular cemetary. This tends to happen more in the US, but is not excusively so.

Sometimes the record custodians have allowed volunteers, which would include FamilySearch, access so that they can transcribe them or have 'sold' the access to a commercial organisation like Deceased on Line or Ancestry. Some have put them up on their own website whilst others will undertake a 'look up' for a fee.

So if someone was buried in a Common Grave, they're burial will be recorded on the cemetary register. Do bear in mind that sometimes new borns or still births aren't recorded separately and were placed in an unrelated adults coffin.