Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kent 1909 - was there disease or catastrophe?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AlanRoberts

AlanRoberts Report 30 Oct 2016 18:40

I have just discovered that my distant LONGHURST family cousins both died in the first quarter of 1909. The were mother and daughter aged 77 and 36 and are recorded just two pages apart in the registers.
It could have been quite a common winter illness like 'flu but I would be interested (without obtaining death certs) to learn if there might be any other reason.
I cannot find any suitable newspaper online.
The death registrations for the 1909 quarters were 60, 47, 34, and 51 in East Ashford

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Oct 2016 18:55

According to a google search, Tuberculosis killed thousands every year in Kent right up to the early 20th century. Earlier there were also outbreaks of measles, whooping cough, cholera and influenza.

The only sure way of knowing would be the death certificates. The 77 year old could just have been old age (77 was a good age at that time).

Kath. x

greyghost

greyghost Report 30 Oct 2016 18:59

I think you would need to obtain death certificates to be sure of the cause of death. At age 77 in that period, I should imagine natural causes related to old age could well fit. At 36, that's a little more open. Was she married, could it have been due to childbirth. TB was ever present, etc etc. as were any of today's causes of early death.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Oct 2016 14:17

It's always better to get the DC.

An aunt died in 1919 & for years I'd assumed Spanish Flu. Once purchased the DC said it was heart failure after contracting Rheumatic Fever 5 years previously.

Just goes to show how guessing can mislead you.

AlanRoberts

AlanRoberts Report 31 Oct 2016 18:07

Thank you all. It seems the best way forward to get the death certificate to be sure.
Alan

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Oct 2016 19:54

Seventy-second annual report of the registrar-general Page vi
states that: "The death rates in 1909 both from tuberculosis as a whole and from phthisis were the lowest on record" - referring to England and Wales thru 1909.
http://tinyurl.com/hby5suv

The general series is at: http://tinyurl.com/otk8vwq