Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Items NOT to be thrown away

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 3 Nov 2016 00:06

When clearing out a deceased relatives belongings, do not throw away their address book. It can lead you to find other lliving family members that you did not know about.

From my own experience I have found many living relatives connecedt to my late Mum and her late sisters.

My Mum had some names and address of people in America, one was her cousin on her father's side of the family and I've been in contact with several of his living children for quite a while now.

When Mum's elder sister died Mum had her address book. Found a few more relatives I neve knew I had!

When Mum's younges sister was in Hospital, I phoned my cousin to see how my aunty was and asked her if she knew of any of our Irish relatives (as our grandparents came to England about 1928. My cousin said ''well, I know these people are relatives of Mum's but I don't know how they are related''.

So I promply took down names, addresses and phone numers.

BINGO! What a result.

Another relative lived in the USA on our Grandmothers side of the family. I wrote to her and was sent me a wad of Irish certificates.
There were also relatives that still lived in Dublin on Grandmother's side and Grandfather's nephew in the UK! I wrote to him and he told me all about his Dad, one of my Grandfather's brothers and sent a photo, say it was grandfather's wedding..but it was my Mum's and he didn't know that. Someone had just written my Grandfathr's name on the back of the picture as it was a family group photo!

I know mobile phones are great fo keeping in touch with relatives, but most people still have an address books, even if it's only used for writing Christmas Cards.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Nov 2016 02:43

I have to agree, Teresa. I came across my dad's address book from the early 1930's when he was at sea. It has helped me immensely finding relatives, one in particular, a 2nd cousin who I knew nothing about and wouldn't have found her without the help of that address book.