Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grandmother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 6 Nov 2016 13:34

Hi
I have found my mother's birth certificate online and all it tells me is that my grandmother's maiden name was O'BRIEN does anyone know how I can go about trying to trace her details any help would be very much appreciated

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Nov 2016 13:37

What you have found is the GRO ref I would think

You can buy a copy of the cert from

www.gro.gov.uk. Using the GRO ref

ann

ann Report 6 Nov 2016 13:43

Thanks for the information will give it a try

Potty

Potty Report 6 Nov 2016 14:10

You could also try to find a marriage for your grandparents. The index entry would give you her first name (if you don't) already know it. The cert for that would give her father's name. Also, if you know roughly when she was born you could search for her birth.

Try freebmd to find the index entries

If you struggle, come back and give us some details and somebody will try to help..

ann

ann Report 6 Nov 2016 17:39

i don,t have any other details as i was brought up by fosterparents

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Nov 2016 18:22

Get your mums birth certificate for its info

You can't go any further without the information from the cert

Get it from

www.gro.gov.uk. Register free and follow the order form

Tick the box that asks if the GRO ref is known and put the ref in the boxes where indicated. is area vol nos ,page nos Only use the name as printed in the GRO ref