Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR TREE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 15 Jan 2017 17:14

I have never used GR for my family tree, but today, being curious about a question posted by another user I thought I'd take a look.

When I click on the Family Tree Link above it appears I already have a tree??!!

I thought perhaps it was an example tree- but just having a quick look it appears these people exist. It has living people on it- none that belong to my family.

I've no idea how to delete these people, and can't seem to edit any details either? Is there anybody else that doesn't have their tree on here but has another family added?

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 15 Jan 2017 17:22

Hold on- I think it's actually a tree that has been shared with me at some point. No idea why it comes up for my family tree. There doesn't seem to be any option for me to start one- Or perhaps I'm being thick?

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 15 Jan 2017 17:29

I've just deleted the contact that shared the tree with me- but the tree is still there as my own!!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2017 18:08

That's really weird. Some members have said that a tree has been created for them, but with only themselves as the Root Person.

Are you sure you are looking at your own tree, and not one shared with you? Under your name towards the top of the tree screen is 'view other trees'. Click on that. The Tree Dashboard opens up in middle of the page with 2 tabs - my trees and trees shared with me.

Failing that, ask Support to remove it!!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2017 18:12

There is supposed to be the facility to delete your tree.

Go into your Account. On the left is Export a gedcom, Import a gedcom and Delete tree. If you haven't already, try the last tab.

Do you have an offline tree programme? If you can create a seperate tree on that with just your own name, try to import it. It should over-write what is already there.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 15 Jan 2017 18:39

Detective- thankyou!

It definitely was listed under 'my tree' (and not trees shared with me).

I've just used the Delete tree function and waited a while before coming back on- it is now gone!

Now when I click on 'My Tree' it asks me to enter details.

Thanks again. (I won't be adding details! Not sure anything is safe :)

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 15 Jan 2017 18:42

I just hope I haven't deleted some-one's tree from their account!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2017 19:36

Glad you've managed to get rid of it.