Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

which would you choose F my P or Ancestry?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 18 Jan 2017 13:04

Not sure which one to choose, my oh let his F my P subs lapse about a year ago as we felt we couldn't get any further, they had changed the layout. Now we're ready to get back into family history. (we've never had ancestry).

What can we find on each site? I'm looking for b/m/d in the u.k. up to about 2014.
Also which site is better for looking up American, Australian and South Africa Please?
Many thanks (back later).

ShelleyRose. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Jan 2017 13:20

Ancestry definately for America and Australia although Familysearch is also quite helpful for the USA.

As you probably know, on-line gro index stops at 2006. Ancestry do have a section called the England and Wales, Death Index, 2007-2013. We think its culled from other sites. This is an example of what you'd see. There is no image.

Mrs Grace Emily Meakins
Birth Date: 5 Oct 1929
Death Date: 23 Sep 2008
Residence Place at Death: Maidstone, Kent, England
Postal Code District: ME16

Although she doesn't have an entry, you can find earlier & post 2006 entries on the Probate Calendar for free. Unfortunately it doesn't give an address, date of birth, or age at death.
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

You're not going to find births or marriages post 2006 online unless you can find a newspaper announcement somewhere.

Most Libraries have access to both sites although not necessarily the full world side versions. You could try both of them out, or take out a free trial at home. Again, I'm not sure if the overseas records are included in either.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 20 Jan 2017 12:10

Many thanks for you reply DetEcTive, yes I knew there was a cut off point for finding births and marriages but couldn't remember when it was.

I was hoping to help my cousin out by doing her side of the family (she's getting a bit forgetful) and get it printed out for her, but with 9 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren it's going to be a bit difficult. lol

Thanks again for the above info.

ShelleyRose. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jan 2017 13:33

In that case, apart from asking her children, you may find Facebook useful.
Find a child and you may be able to click through to other relatives who are 'friends.

It's amazing how many proud parents/grandparents post 'Happy birthday to xxx, 3 years old today'.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 20 Jan 2017 21:37

Thanks DetEcTive,, that's a brilliant idea will give it a go.

ShelleyRose.x