Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

scottish twin?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 4 Feb 2017 12:22

Hi
I know that on an English birth cert they put the time of birth if they are a twin BUT do they do the same on a Scottsh one?
I have a Scottish birth 1951 ...when and where born...also 7h25min. then another word that I cant read...looks like>> PiVne.

Thanks for your time

Geraldine x

Potty

Potty Report 4 Feb 2017 12:29

All Scottish birth certs have time of birth, not just those for multiple births.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 4 Feb 2017 12:33

What a shame lol Many thanks Potty

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Feb 2017 15:21

Could the mystery "word" be PM ??

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Feb 2017 17:53

If you google - illustration of Scottish birth certificate - you will see that most have either a.m. or p.m. after the time of birth, so I think Argyllgran is probably right.

Kath. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Feb 2017 20:16

I cannot find examples on the new SP site.

So I looked up https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ in 2013 on the wayback machine and got to:
http://tinyurl.com/js9wuxy

Now click on SR births in right margin, then the "Example of a statutory births image" link. Look at the downloaded register page - there are 3 entries per page and you know the middle one is not a twin, but his birth rego has a time.

In Scotland, the original B & D rego's were sent to the GROS, and the local office holds a copy. The GROS originals were digitized, so the informants' signatures on SP are real, as you can clearly see from this example.

In England, there are 5 entries per page on the original signed B & D rego's, and the GRO only has a copy of these. Most local offices lake the capability of digitizing their own images of the original rego's and then placing these images on the official certificate form, so it's hard to get images of original signatures.