Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral rolls 1989-2002

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 9 Feb 2017 02:23

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has access to these? Trying to provide a complete list of data for myself and family.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Feb 2017 09:02

They are on FMP or www.192.com

Lots of folks though have opted out of the public roll ,I know we did .

We still show though at 2002 before the opting out option came in

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 9 Feb 2017 09:24

thanks for the reply Shirley.

192 only has records from 2002 onwards....

malyon

malyon Report 9 Feb 2017 10:26

you could try freelectrol site GR has electrol up to 2014

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Feb 2017 10:49

searchelectoralroll.co.uk has 1980-2017.

However, as Shirley says, lots of people have opted out of the public ER.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Feb 2017 12:01

If you can remember the addresses, do an internet search for them. You should get a result for Zoopla.
As long as you were owner occupiers, you can normally view the sale history which will tell you when you moved.

Although opted out entries on FMP will only show registered names for 2002, it'll also give the number of years they were listed at that address before the last given year.
E.G. An entry for 2002, but were on the ER for a total of 4 years.
2002-4= 1998. On the open ER 1998-2002.

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 9 Feb 2017 13:45

Hi all,

I am actually looking for my own entries. I know I didnt opt out but I am looking to prove I was on the register,

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Feb 2017 15:41

If you live anywhere near the town in question, you should find copies of all electoral rolls in the public library and can search them yourself.

As you obviously know your own name and address, the library staff might search for you if you can't visit, but they may make a charge.

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 9 Feb 2017 17:22

Thanks Andysmum,

Unfortunately, I now live outside of the UK!

:-(

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 15 Feb 2017 21:55

Does anyone know what is considered a reasonable sum for the local authority to search and copy?

The local authority in question want a fortune. A lovely friend went and searched for me but wasnt allowed to get photocopies. For those I need to pay the local authority search charge,

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Feb 2017 04:04

Are there duplicates in another archive?
Is this an area of Kent?
Are you able to tell us broad area or county, so we can better advise?

What sort of place did your friend search. Was it perhaps council offices?

Would they allow them to be photographed rather than photo copied?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2017 09:14

Although in the postal district of Dartford, the addresses are in the London borough of Bexley. One of Theresa's friends as already visited the council offices, hence the question.

Apparently the friend was able to look at the Rolls, but not copy or photo them themselves, hence the fee running into hundreds of pounds. Masking other unrelated listings wasn't a factor.

As the information relates to her and her immediate family, would a request under the Freedom of Information act be appropriate?

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 16 Feb 2017 09:20

I asked the lady in Bexley council about FOI and she said she wouldnt do it without the charge which is €25 per name per address, for the first search at each name/address and then £5 per name/address thereafter.

The person who looked is very experienced with genealogy. But they were very clear no photocopies (unless they do it and charge appropriately) and no photographs.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2017 10:25

Do you need the info for e.g. Proof of Residency? If duplicates aren't at the local studies centre, it sounds very much as if you'll have to pay.

They used to charge £25 to look up an entry in the burial registers, so it sounds like their standard fee.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 16 Feb 2017 10:34

Does the library not have copies? They are usually OK about photocopying, for a small fee, or photographing entries.

Try this link for information.

http://www.bexley.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2563